GM Canada being sued over engine gaskets

"Professional Grade" Engineering

GM Canada being sued over engine gaskets

GM Canada being sued over engine gaskets

Reuters / April 25, 2006 - 3:00 pm

TORONTO -- General Motors of Canada Ltd. is being sued for selling vehicles between 1995 and 2003 that allegedly contained a defective part that caused engines to overheat and seize, according to a suit filed in Ontario Superior Court on Tuesday.

The lawsuit against the Canadian arm of the world's biggest automaker could include up to 400,000 Canadian car owners. If each owner claims $2,654 (Canadian $3,000) in damages the claims could reach $1.06 billion (Canadian $1.2 billion).

The claim alleges that on some models GM used nylon or other plastics to manufacture intake manifold gaskets, which degrade prematurely and allow coolant to leak into the engine.

"In some cases the engines overheat and seize completely," Colin Stevenson, a partner at Toronto law firm Stevensons LLP, said in a release. "The vehicles often need complete engine replacements at considerable expense to the owners."

The suit claims 23 General Motors models were affected by the defective gasket, including Buick Park Avenues manufactured from 1995 to

1998 and from 2000 to 2003; the Pontiac Grand Am produced from 1999 to 2003; and the Chevrolet Malibu made from 1999 to 2003.

A GM Canada spokesperson was not immediately available for comment.

-- "I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

John Wayne

Reply to
Jim Higgins

Here is the list of vehicles involved :

The plaintiff's claim is that General Motors designed, marketed, tested and manufactured, in the 1995-2003 model years, various Buick, Chevrolet, Oldsmobile and Pontiac motor vehicles with a 3.1, 3.4, 3.8 or

4.3 litre engine, using a defective intake manifold gasket. The vehicles include those listed below:

-1995-1997 Buick Riviera

-1995-1998/2000-2003 Buick LeSabre

-1995-1998/2000-2003 Buick Park Avenue

-1996-1998/2000-2003 Buick Regal

-2000-2003 Buick Century

-2002-2002 Buick Rendezvous

-1996/1998-2001 Chevrolet Lumina

-1998-2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

-1997-2003 Chevrolet Venture

-1999-2003 Chevrolet Malibu

-2000-2003 Chevrolet Impala

-1995-1998 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight

-1995-1998 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight

-1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue

-1996-2003 Oldsmobile Silhouette

-1999 Oldsmobile Cutlass

-1999-2003 Oldsmobile Alero

-1995-1998/2000-2003 Pontiac Bonneville

-1997-1998/2000-2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

-1996-1999 Pontiac Trans Sport

-1999-2003 Pontiac Grand Am

-1999-2003 Pontiac Montana

-2001-2003 Pontiac Aztec

Jim Higg> "Professional Grade" Engineering

DL

That case has already been brought, and was settled, year ago, in the US. I was Ford who sued the various gasket manufacture over bad gaskets. It was settled our of court with the insurance companies of the gasket manufactures picking up 80% of the cost and Ford and the other vehicle manufactures the balance. Teh settlement was for all vehicle manufactures. The problem was not a design problem it stemmed from the federal governments banning of asbestoses without giving the gasket manufactures time to develop suitable replacement materials.

The gasket problem reminds one of the paint problems back then that was a result of similar government regulation on pants and paint process that did not give the vehicle and paint manufactures time to develop new more environmentally friendly paint and process that led to paints that literally fell of the vehicles. In that instance the vehicle manufactures that painted their vehicles in the US suffered all of the costs an the bad PR. Ford was not going to get stuck again with the blame for deficiencies in gaskets, although many still blame the vehicle manufacture for the problem, not the people in government that acted so stupidly.

As a side note, the gasket manufactures at first denied responsibility. They claimed it was owner neglect, much as Toyota did when their 'gelling' problem first occurred and before they attributed to a new head design. The gasket manufactures point was, a leaking gasket should have been discover during routine maintenance by the owner and replaced long before any significant damage would have occurred to the engine. They simply wanted to offer the vehicle manufactures gasket with their newer less problematic materials, that they were now making. That was one reason they got off with only 80% of the cost

mike hunt

Mike Hunter