Recommended Maintenance

I have a 2000 Chevy Impala which I took for an oil change recently. The company who is doing the oil change has recommended the following services:

  • Brake Flush
  • Fuel System Cleaning
  • Power Steering Fluid Flush

The car has 64,000 miles and I don't believe I have ever done any of these services in the past.

Do I need to do any of them or is the company just trying to make some extra money?

Thanks, Josh

Reply to
joshfeingold

I don't believe in Fuel System cleaners, but the Brake Flush is worthwhile. Power Steering flush is good PM every 60K miles

Brent

Check your owners manual!! Aot of newer vehicles have longer life fluids in them. Alot of times the dealer is competatively priced on the work and has the correct fluid for your vehicle on hand, insted of a universal one fluid does all most quick lubes use.

Reply to
Chevy Man

You forgot wallet flush. None of these are bad things to do, but they are not necessarily needed. How are they going to clean the fuel system? Run some gas through the lines? You probably should change the filter though. Going from memory, I've never seen a recommended power steering change and I've never done it. Unlike engine oil, it gets very little stress on it.

I just ran through the maintenance schedule on my car up to 150,000 miles. None of these are required. Transmission fluid change is at 105,000 miles. They also recommend oil changes at 7500 miles, but I do them closer to 7000.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Wow, I really would suggest a complete flush every 60K miles.

Brent

I only ever changed the tranny fluid in one car. It is also the only car to have a tranny go bad on me. Not much goes bad with the fluid under normal condition.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

As an ex mechanic, I can assure you that I've seen the difference. I'd highly recommend a flush every 60K. You are free to have your own opinion. The tranny in my car is over 4K, it's worth it to me to treat it right. Read the owners manual.

Brent

I read the manual. On mine, it is 105,000 miles. ``````` If you live in the Mojave Desert and tow a heavy trailer, I'd agree with you.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Or in stop and go traffic in high heat like here in Florida ;-)

Brent

Reply to
ROY BRAGG

Dropping the pan only gets half of the fluid. Still plenty in the torque converter, etc. So I guess you could do a fluid change every 30K and it would be about the same. *shrug*

Brent