Replace Turn Indicator Bulb Ordeal, 79 Chev. SW

Hi,

I have a 79 Chev. Caprice SW and recently the right turn signal indicator, in the instrument console, went out. I had no idea what an ordeal it is to replace the bulb. The bulb holders do not have wires, but contacts which mate with the printed circuit board. I made a tool by fashioning a flat piece of metal into the shape of a square "U" that fits over the back of the holder because there isn't enough space to grip it with your hand. You have to be a "contortionists" in order to access the holder from below and behind the console. Note: I had tried to pull out, from the front, the section that has the turn indicators, but that section also has the speedometer and the shift (auto transmission) indicator. I wasn't sure if I would "screw things up", so I aborted that approach. Do you know of an easier technique?

Thanks in advance, Brad

Before you type your password, credit card number, etc., be sure there is no active key logger (spyware) in your PC.

Reply to
Brad

I can't remember if I ever changed a light bulb in the cluster on my 78 Olds, which was probably similar to the Caprice procedure. It might be possible for you to push some wire harness a side to get your hand up in there.

On my Bonneville you remove the gauge cluster to remove the bulbs. The bulbs twist in & out and the socket contacts a printed circuit.

Good Luck

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~295,965 miles_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face