rummble at higher speeds

It is a 1996. I did try driving in 3rd or overdrive off and it still happened. It is felt and heard. After the flush my wife said it is worse. Yesterday it did it at a lower speed. Because of cash flow I may have to get a used tranny and pay someone to install it.

It sounds like your wallet got flushed, see it quite often in the dealer I work at. The tcc could be causing it, tap, or ride the brake very lightly at speed. This will disengage tcc due to brake input. I am a bit confused though, may have misread. Is this a vibration felt, or a vibration type noise heard? TCC typically applies at around 45 mph/3rd-4th gear. The shifting in/out of overdrive(4th gear) can be remedied, drive in (d) range 3rd gear and see what happens. The engine may rev a little higher and load qualities change, but if your rumble strip symptom still occurs or not is the answer. You could even be experiencing a misfire. Try duplicating the symptom on a grade(uphill), if this influences it you might look in the secondary ignition system(plugs, wires). Nowhere in the post does it say what year the LeSabre is, its obvious that it is pre-obd II(1996). Had a vehicle(pont. bonneville) several years ago that had two converters put in for a TCC shudder that was just a leaking plug wire. Gerald

Reply to
Tim

The basic rule of thumb is that servicing a tranny on a regular basis is good for the tranny and extends tranny life. Having said that, another basic rule of thumb is that when experiencing tranny problems, about the worst thing you can do in most cases, is flush the tranny. It all starts with the idea that most tranny problems are well enough advanced by the time you feel them, that flushing only serves to exacerbate the problem. Yet - the first thing most people think to do when they have a tranny problem is to flush the tranny. It makes sense in a certain way, but it doesn't work. A decent tranny shop will advise you of that up front. They won't suggest to you that your type of problem can easily be remedied by a flush. Simply put - flushes do not remedy most tranny problems.

In another reply, you say...

It's disconcerting that this tranny shop told you this. But... if that's what they told you, then I believe you have every right to be upset. As to the second shop and the TSB they reference - as you imply, it's for a Ford tranny. There is no - absolutely no correlation between Ford trannys and GM trannys. Don't even waste the brain cells thinking "if it works on a Ford automatic, maybe it will work on a GM automatic - after all, they're both trannys".

Going forward, given the age of your car I think if I were you I'd be looking for a salvage tranny with reasonable mileage. Depending on where you are in the country, you should find one with under 60K on it for probably around $600. I have not invested any time to research this so don't hold me to that price, but you can certainly put one in cheaper than you can get yours rebuilt. This car isn't going to last forever and it's not worth investing $2000 plus into for a tranny overhaul.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Thanks for everyone advice. I found a shop that has a 99 tranny with 60 K on it. Installed with 6 months warranty will cost me $650 and I can spread payments out for 3 months.

Reply to
Tim

My 1998 GMC 1/2 ton's stering wheel shakes back and forth when I brake. Bearings are good, front end is tight and stering works fine otherwise. I'm baffled

-- Message posted using

information at

cprice75

Warped rotors?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Don't be baffled, it's one of the more obvious problems. Your rotors are warped. Time for a front brake job.

Reply to
Mike Marlow