S10 2.2 temperature

Reply to
Eugene

Another chapter on on ongoing saga of my minor annoying S10 problems. I was out on the road yesterday in 90 degree weather. About 1 hour in the morning, and hour back during late hot afternoon. I had just charged up the R134 and the air was cold.

On the way back, the temperature gauge was hitting 210. WHen it stayed there too long, the truck would start to sputter like it was starving for fuel. 210 seems hot, but its below the red line on the gauge. Is 210 too hot for these conditions? I smell low fuel pressure, but could overheated ignition also cause this? After a short cool off, it seems to be fine when this happens. It also happened last year when it was very hot. I asked this question last year and the consensus was vapour lock could not happen due to the constant fuel return to the tank. Could It boil in the fuel rail after the regulator?

Assuming its fuel, i have tried to find a shrader tap to hook a fuel pressure gauge up to. So far, i have not. I have the shop manual, but its not very clear on the 2.2. On the frame rail, there is a fuel filter and the return line there seems to have a removable fitting. With that fitting, you could tap it, but i would not think this would be where to do it on the fuel return line. There does not seem to be one on the fuel rail at the pressure regulator at the front of the engine. There is a long hex head at the back of the fuel rail. Is this where the fitting is? Is this removable? I did not want to put a wrench on it until i was sure.

Any input appreciated.

Bob

Reply to
BOB URZ

The Fuel Filter is on the drivers side frame rail around the transmission cross member. If you go to a shop that has a fuel pressure testor for fuel injected vehicals, they should have an addaptor they can crew in by the filter and check pressure there. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig