S10 SS 4.3 HO

I have a 94 S10SS 4.3 HO engine in a parts truck which i am probably going to use for parts for my 96. I don't need the engine (mine is a

2.2), and it knocks anyway. What was special about the SS HO 4.3's? Would it be worth saving the whole engine or heads and manifold? Are they special from a standard 4.3?

I am thinking about using the rear end off the 94. Should the rear end from the 94 SS work in my 96 2.2? I know some of the rear ends had a longer nose piece on them. And different track widths. Both trucks had Anti lock (which is different), but as far as i can tell there is no anti lock sensors on either rear end. I think the 94's is a 3.46 and should be a limited slip.

The trannie seems to be OK, but i think the 94 4l60E's did not have the removable bell housing so i could use it on a 2.2

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Your gear ratio on the '94 may be a 3.42/1 or 3.73/1 and the 2.2 ratio IE 4.10/1 or 4.27/1. The VIN #'s will show what they are. There may be a metal tag showing the ratio. The 2.2 may not have the torque to pull the lower ratio IMO.

Reply to
Jarhead

Well, i was wrong on the 96's ratios. The RPO on the glove box is gt5, which is a 4.10 (no g80). I have not got possession of the 94 ss yet, but it seems 3.42 is likely. The question is how much more of a dog will the 2.2 be if i put the 3.42 in? Then, i have to change the sensor in the trannie to correct the spedo?

The 96's rear has a clunk in it and a axle seal leaking. SO this looked like a good opportunity to fix the problem. The truck was in a hard hit to the passenger rear before i got it and i was suspicious that the axle housing might have been slightly off in some way.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

metal tag showing the ratio. The 2.2 may not have the torque to pull the | > lower ratio IMO. | >

| Well, i was wrong on the 96's ratios. The RPO on the glove box is gt5, | which is a 4.10 (no g80). I have not got possession of the 94 ss yet, | but it seems 3.42 is likely. The question is how much more of a dog will | the 2.2 be if i put the 3.42 in? Then, i have to change the sensor in | the trannie to correct the spedo? | | The 96's rear has a clunk in it and a axle seal leaking. SO this looked | like a good opportunity to fix the problem. The truck was in a hard hit | to the passenger rear before i got it and i was suspicious that the axle | housing might have been slightly off in some way. | | Bob

According to my calculator the % difference between 3.42 and 4.10 is around 17%. This is about the difference between 235X75R15 and

33X9.50X15 tires.

I had a '87 4X4 SC PU with the 22R (carb eng) that had 33's on it when I bought it. I couldn't use 5th gear at all. The odometer was at least

15% off as well. I put 235's on it and the truck performed like it was meant to.
Reply to
Jarhead

metal tag showing the ratio. The 2.2 may not have the torque to pull the | > lower ratio IMO. | >

| Well, i was wrong on the 96's ratios. The RPO on the glove box is gt5, | which is a 4.10 (no g80). I have not got possession of the 94 ss yet, | but it seems 3.42 is likely. The question is how much more of a dog will | the 2.2 be if i put the 3.42 in? Then, i have to change the sensor in | the trannie to correct the spedo? | | The 96's rear has a clunk in it and a axle seal leaking. SO this looked | like a good opportunity to fix the problem. The truck was in a hard hit | to the passenger rear before i got it and i was suspicious that the axle | housing might have been slightly off in some way. | | Bob

According to my calculator the % difference between 3.42 and 4.10 is around 17%. This is about the difference between 235X75R15 and

33X9.50X15 tires.

I had a '87 4X4 SC PU with the 22R (carb eng) that had 33's on it when I bought it. I couldn't use 5th gear at all. The odometer was at least

15% off as well. I put 235's on it and the truck performed like it was meant to.
Reply to
Jarhead

Now assuming i did the swap and changed the trannie speed sensor, what controls the trannie shift points? Since its a 4l60E its electronic. so its the computer that's shifting it. I wonder if the computer would have to be changed to or if just changing the trannie sensor will solve the shift point? Or is it strictly RPM based?

Bob

Reply to
BOB URZ