Steering column

I'm starting to take the tilt steering column out of my '88 Cav Z-24 and replace it with one from an '89. Probably swap lock cylinders while I'm at it so old key fits new column. Does any one have a diagram / exploded view of a steering column for an '88-'89 Cavalier? If not, any links to buy a shop manual for same? Also, not sure how old column separates from steering gear by bulkhead (not much visibility). Any help appreciated.

Reply to
James Goforth

Try this page:

It may help, not sure though.

Good luck with your project.

Reply to
80 Knight

On 4/20/06 5:39 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3278.bay.webtv.net, "James Goforth" spewed forth this gibberish...

Repairmanual.com is a good place to find books..

On a celebrity there's a semi-transparent plastic covering that snaps over the steering wheel end of the column.. If you pry that back there's a clamp type thing with a bolt you take out (that part sucks). Then the column just slides out (assuming you have the rest undone). I would guess a cavalier would be similar.

Reply to
Michael Keefe

Michael wrote, "On a celebrity there's a semi-transparent plastic covering that snaps over the steering wheel end of the column.. If you pry that back there's a clamp type thing with a bolt you take out (that part sucks). Then the column just slides out (assuming you have the rest undone). I would guess a cavalier would be similar. ***************************************** Yes, the steering has the boot at bottom exactly as you described, with a "pinch bolt" at the bottom apparently holding the column in. I have everything else loose and expected the column to simply slide out upon removal of that bolt, but it wouldn't come out even after jerking on it as much as I dared. That's when I decided there may be something I'm not seeing or don't know about. I've even tried prying apart the part which the pinch bolt clamps together, didn't seem to matter. The parts car I'm trying to remove the column from is in an obscure place, instead of in the shop with all my tools and etc, which can turn a nothing job into more of a hassle sometimes.

Reply to
James Goforth

On 4/23/06 6:44 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3271.bay.webtv.net, "James Goforth" spewed forth this gibberish...

If I recall correctly you have to actually remove the pinch bolt (it fits in a slot on the column.. Won't budge with it in there..

I know that feeling.. Our local U-pullit stacks them with a foot between each car..

Reply to
Michael Keefe