Thanks GM

I got my gift from GM this morning. Started seeing drops of oil on the driveway.

Dealer confirms; My BUICK 3.1 engine has a failed manifold gasket. Fortunately, the oil looks OK. They'll fix it for around a $thou$

Actually, worth it. I couldn't find a replacement car that I liked as much as the BUICK Century. ( and to think that GM had years to deal with the problem )

Reply to
Anonymous

Erness Wild

If you are talking about a 3.1L GM engine with the faulty intake manifold gaskets, that GM has recently settled on a lawsuit for, you'll be glad to know that GM (after some considerable legal effort on your own part) will go good for about a 1/3 to 1/4 cost of the repair. You can find all the info you need to make a claim here, and to find out how much you should receive.

Canadian -

-
You'll have to read up for yourself because I think on the canadian site, they were only giving us so much time to file a claim. Fortunately, on my '98 Malibu (3.1L, replaced around 225-250k), I knew a retired Chev mechanic who did the repair for around $200. When I need to get the 3.4L done on my '01 Monte Carlo done, I'll probably take it back to the same guy. For those following along, remember that this also applies to the 3.8L engines as well.

Good luck with yours, Sharky

Reply to
Sharky

Sharky did you submit a claim?

I replaced our '00 Century's(3.1) intake gasket at 135,000kms Dec '06 and did the work myself and am wondering what to put on the claim form in regards to "Name of Repair Shop".

It cost me approx $200 in parts to do the job.

Now at 180,00kms and still holding strong.

I'll take the $100.

Thanks for the link.

Reply to
anon

Weren't the SC'd 3800s spared this embarrassment?

Reply to
maxell

No, I didn't, and when I replace the gaskets in the 3.4L Monte, I won't again either. If I can get it replaced, plus have my coolant flushed, for $200, I'm not going through all that hassle just to get $50 - $75.

Reply to
Sharky

This is wrong. The 3.8 does not use the same intake system as the 3.1 and

3.4 do. It does not suffer the gasket problem. The 3.8 has a problem of its own with the plastic plenum, but that is a distinctly different problem.
Reply to
Mike Marlow

Parts should have cost you around $40. Even at dealer prices.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Mike the parts were over $300 at the dealer and they wanted $800 to do the whole job.

The gasket set was over $100 and the bolts were $10 each.

The procedure and parts were all listed in a GM TSB.

Not even close to $40.

'97 to '04 3.8s are covered under "Group B"

Reply to
anon

I meant that the lawsuit in general applies to the 3.8L engines. Read up on the website for yourself. The 3.8L engines from 1995 to 2004 are covered under the Engine Group B Vehicles. FYI, if you had read section 1.22 (bottom of page 7), then you would see that I am stating my facts correctly. Show me where it says otherwise and I'll gladly admit I was wrong.

Sharky

Reply to
Sharky

I bought the gaskets at the local Chevy dealer for $40-some bucks. Did several cars and never paid the prices you were quoted for parts. I did however, forget about adding the cost of the bolts in though. I sure didn't pay $10 each for them. What part of the country are you in?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I don't know what you meant to say, but what you said was...

You'll have to read up for yourself because I think on the canadian site,

As stated, you are clearly wrong, and all I did was point that out.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

The problem with the series II 3800 was different technically, but was similar in GM's attempt to avoid the situation and reluctance to pay for anything.

To have the plenum issue addressed at a dealership was usually in the range of US$7-800, or more if complications were involved.

The parts, at NAPA, were a little over US$200 just a few years ago.

And as in a previous post, I chose not to waste time trying to get GM to ante up $50 (as they knew many of us would). It is not worth the time, paperword, red tape, and hassel to spend hours on a loser company for $50 lousy bucks.

Reply to
HLS

I have an Uplander Van, I bought it new. And it just leak within within 1000KM.

Reply to
bryanchen.canada

I have an Uplander Van, I bought it new. And it just leak within within 1000KM. ==============================================

That would be why you have a warranty. Take it back to the dealer.

Reply to
80Knight