The GM VOLT! $41,000 For A 40-Mile Car! YOU SUCKERS READY TO BITE?

Mikey only knows how to Short Circuit.

Reply to
Jim_Higgins

Then you should know an electric MOTOR develops it greatest amount of torque at startup an under load. On the other hand a diesel ENGINE needs to be run up before it attain is maximum torque

Reply to
Mike

In message , Mike writes

Ignorance is bliss as they say. It all depends on the type of motor and the power and if a.c. The frequency. Further how are you planning to cool the motor/s?

Reply to
Clive

Yep, taxpayers will warranty it. But there is an indication the US governemnt might have to make some hard choices if GM looses more money. In fact, GM might get sold the Chinese for debt concessions.

Washington DC has pooched the economy real good. Debt-spend is failing so bad, the USD is now in trouble.

Reply to
Canuck57

Said the person that does not own a GM....

But agree, they are abnormally expensive to own.

Reply to
Canuck57

Dream on Mike, the Volt is never going to pull anything like a Cummins or Duramax diesel. Just isn't going to happen. The Volt would have to have 8 batteries and that is assuming the motors/frame could take it.

Even with 8 batteries, 40 miles witha boat? Come now...

Keep dreaming.

Or better yet, buy one!

Reply to
Canuck57

Reply to
Canuck57

Reply to
Canuck57

In message , Canuck57 writes

Because the same car (Vauxhall Ampere) will be here next year, our "What Car" magazine has road tested one and a few little facts have emerged. When the battery is 70% depleted, the petrol engine takes over power generation. The engine is a standard 1.4 litre Corsa engine, 74bhp, I don't know if the Americans have an equivalent of the Corsa, but by our standards it's a mini car. This is not said, but my experience on railway locomotives with electric transmission is 85% efficiency, which makes the Ampere (Volt) only 62.9bhp at the wheel. I've not seen one in the flesh, but the pictures make it look large compared to our normal cars and would if true, make the car very underpowered. The other items are a claimed CO2 of 40g/km which is obviously taking the charged battery into account. The magazine lists the following, Price £30,000 Power 149 bhp

0-62 9.0 seconds Top speed 100mph Economy 175 mpg Electric Motor 149 bhp Petrol Engine 74 bhp Torque 275 ft/lbs Battery Lithium-ion E-REV (Electric-Range Extender Vehicle). The same magazine also tests the Nissan Leaf and the Toyota Prius Plug in.
Reply to
Clive

In message , Canuck57 writes

Reply to
Clive

In message , Michael Coburn writes

It is "coin of the realm" in which ever country it's used in. I keep some incase I travel at all, it's just as genuine as Sterling is to me and Dollars are to you.

Reply to
Clive

Duh, as one would suspect, you did not understand the point being made. Nobody was comparing the Volt to a truck, dummy. The comparison was of the point where maximum torque is achieved from a given electric motor and the similar torque output of an engine of the same HP.

The engine that drives the Volts generator, runs continuously at 2,100 RPM because that is point here the HP/torque ratio is the most efficient. The electric motor that motivate the vehicle, on the other hand develops it maximum torque at startup and under the heaver load of a pulling a grade.

Unlike an engine, an electric motor produces its torque where torque is need most, at startup and under the heaver load of a pulling a grade. An electric motor is far more desirable than an engine under those same conditions which must be run up to a given RPM to reach its maximum torque. That is why the vehicle driven by an engine needs various numbers of gears, to take advantage of the torque, that gets you going and keeps you going on grades, and the horse power that is needed for speed.

If you ever drove a hybrid you would notice than when you clime a grade at speed, that the small engine, which is designer to run at a high RPM to develop more HP, is way over its torque curve. If the electric motor did not kick in the car could not maintain the desired speed.

If you drive in mountainous parts of the country you will notice the Pruis' pulls the grades at speed far better than the underpowered 4cy Corollas and Camry's that can not even maintain the speed desired.

Reply to
Mike

In message , Mike writes

How is the motor being driven and indeed what kind of motor is it?

Only a diesel would have maximum efficiency at that rpm, a petrol engine would be nearer to 5-6000 rpm to be at the point of maximum torque and hp.

Depends on the type of motor used.

What is your opinion regarding the need for field diversion if a dc motor is used, or would you prefer gears?

Rubbish.

Reply to
Clive

Baloney..A gasoline engine can be designed to peak where ever you need it to. The l-head engines of the 30's thru early 50's made huge amounts of torque at very low rpm's.

Reply to
Dave

In message , Dave writes

It's simple physics backed up by the latest diesel engines. The flame front is so fast that unless the RPM is elevated then the burn is over before useful torque can be got from it. Vehicles from the 30s to the 50s very often had manual advance and retard that would allow for greater torque though at the cost of efficiency. On the other hand the flame front is much slower in a diesel and because fuel is still burning it allows up to five smaller injections of fuel so that the burn lasts much longer and as you'll know (if you understand i.c. Engines) there is no torque at TDC and maximum torque 90% beyond. As your buddies would say, go figure.

Reply to
Clive

Oh how I wish there was a gradual way to do that. Right now the phrase "moderate inflation" seem to be a unicorn. But In the real world, America will have big problems if it can't get off of the oil teat. That is the _ONLY_ real problem.

Good idea.

That is not actually true. It really depends on _All_ the options. Right now the dollar is losing value and the euro regaining value. But we need more of it. We need more inflation than what we currently have.

Why do you think that the Fed or the Treasury needs to borrow what it can print or what it can tax for?

That is actually hilarious. A nation that prints its own money and whose debt is DEFINED in its own money, cannot EVER have a "greek-style" debt crises. There are other dangers but a "greek-style" debt crises is certainly not among them.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is no reason to borrow. There has been no reason for it since

1973. What should have been happening over the last 30 years was the creation of a system in which government must tax money back out of the economy or risk extreme currency devaluation and inflation. There should be no borrowing.

As far as ending the welfare state, idiot. The current SS and Medicare systems aren't the problem, and if they are then the solution is going to be insurance premium increases (FICA and MEDICARE are insurance premiums). The problem causing the deficits is too much military crap and insufficient taxation of the people that _WANT_ imperialism.

Reply to
Michael Coburn

Obviously you do not have an engineering background if you do understand the difference between the torque produced by an electric motor and a fueled engine. ;)

Reply to
Mike

In message , Mike writes

O.K. Lets cut to the quick. The engine being used is the engine that GM uses in the Opel and Vauxhall Corsa. It's peek torque is between

4000 and 4500 rpm, how do I know? My daughter drives one, it's in the handbook. That engine also produces 74 bhp or 55kW (same thing) at 6000 rpm. You were saying?
Reply to
Clive

How many times do you need to be told that an electric motor develops it peak torque at startup and under load, while the engine that runs the generator run constantly at the same RPM to charge the batteries, there are no GEARS involved, before you understand the difference, dummy?

Reply to
Mike

In message , Mike writes

What sort of motor/s are you looking at, a.c. or d.c.? If d.c., how is the armature configured with the field, series or parallel? If more than one motor is used how are they configured series or parallel? What do you do when the back EMF equals the supply? If a.c. What sort of inverter are you using? Is the motor synchronous or asynchronous? Are you able to answer any questions without the diatribe that you've uttered above?

Reply to
Clive