Towing ratings of autos vs. manuals?

Can anyone explain why a truck with a manual transmission has a lower towing rating than the same truck with an automatic even though they have identical engines? That seems counter-intuitive to me because the manual is a direct mechanical connection between the engine and drive train. Is it because the auto haws a cooler?

Reply to
Sean Elkins

Let me start by saying that I do not KNOW the answer for sure. But I would speculate that the main reason is that it is easier to burn out a clutch plate than it is to break a torque converter.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Automatics have torque convertors.

Reply to
« Paul »

no it's because of the added torque multiplication of the torque convertor. hth, Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

It's because lots of people don't know how to drive a stick shift and they have the warranty the truck. Some Diesels like the GM Duramax have lower torque ratings for a stick shift because the transmission can't handle the engine.

Al

Al

Reply to
Big Al