$20,000 over sticker for Chevy Volt is simply supply and demand

"So you think the Chevrolet Volt electric car will cost too much? Tell that to the Chevy dealer who has already decided to charge $20,000 over the sticker price.

That's right. Months before the first Volt lands on a showroom floor, there's enough excitement that the dealer -- who earns a living calculating what the market will bear -- is charging nearly 50% more than General Motors' asking price for the revolutionary car.

If that's any yardstick, the 2011 Volt is drastically underpriced. Supply and demand, baby. It's the free enterprise system."

Read more: Mark Phelan: Dealers' extra charge for Volt is simply supply and demand | freep.com | Detroit Free Press

john

And foolish, 'ecology minded' Liberal Early Adopters will gladly pony up the extra money. But, none of the excess goes to GM, it stays in the pocket of the dealer who makes a nice fat profit on it.

The owner of that dealership must be a Republican. Or, maybe just a hypocrite Democrat along the liines of Rangle, Kerry, Gore, et al.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

So which Democrats aren't hypocrites, in your opinion?

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

I'm sure there must be one or two. Nancy Pelosi, perhaps?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Toyota has made cars "worth buying", and dealers have charged over sticker. One of the more recent examples I can think of was the 1991 MR2. "ADMU" (Additional Dealer Mark Up, a dealer's "fee" for actually having a car on the lot) was $1700. Prius' were going for $2500 or more over MSRP.

Ooops...sorry for shooting your post full of holes.

Reply to
Hachiroku

You got me but vonsumer gouging doesn't last long (excretions like feeding free money to bankers has always amazed me but I guess it's like crank to some) and Leaves a permanently bad taste in consumer mouths.

Reply to
homey

I had an '85 Corolla GTS in '91 when the 'new' MR2 came out. I was passing a dealer and saw one so I stopped. The salesman said, "but there's an ADMU on that car".

No there isn't

Yeah, I think that car has an ADMU

No it doesn't.

He yells across the floor "What's the ADMU on an MR2?" and gets an answer of $1600.

Yeah, thyere's a $1600 ADMU on that car.

Maybe, but I'm not paying it. I'll pay sticker and not a penny more.

So we went over the numbers and just couldn't get to the payment I wanted, so I walked away.

What really killed him was when he asked me if I wanted to drive the car.

No.

But he kept trying. I pointed to my wife and said, maybe she will.

Off they went. 10 minutes later they come back.

This is the REAL killer:

I looked at my wife and said, What did you think?

She shrugged her shoulders and said, "Eh....."

The poor guy looked crestfallen. That's when we started talking about monthly payments but we just couldn't get it to where I needed it.

Ah, well. I still have the Corolla.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Bull. They're going to have to pay for an amount of gas anyway.

They're purchasing them because they're either Bleeding Edgers, and/or they think they're actually saving the planet. How much coal does it take to charge the car?

Now, if there were more Nuke plants, windfarms and solar, it could be argued these cars are actually having an environmental impact. But the same people who buy these cars are (in my area, at least) also opposed to nukes and wind power (kills birds, ya know!) and sloar is just too damn expensive. So they are offsetting their 'carbon footprint' to the evil electric company.

Reply to
Hachiroku

In message , SMS writes

The Toyota Prius Plug-in, can do 12.5 miles at 62 mph on battery power. (What Car September 2010)

Reply to
Clive

If your workplace has free charging stations than 12.5 miles would work for a large percentage of the population, especially if at lower speeds the range is greater, which it should be. The average U.S. commute is about 15 miles one way, and takes about 25 minutes, so the average speed is around 36mph.

The key thing is that people don't want to buy an electric car solely for commuting and need another car for longer trips; both the initial cost and the ongoing costs are too high (insurance, maintenance, registration, parking). The mass market vehicle that can be plugged in has to be a plug-in hybrid, or an electric car with a self-contained battery charger like the Volt.

Reply to
SMS

Nissan pulled that business on a friend of mine for a GT-R. He wanted the car so badly that he offered $5000 over sticker, and they refused. They wanted $15000 admu.

That convinced to never consider another Nissan.

I tried to buy a new Z car at a different dealership just a few weeks after that, and was treated so poorly that I would never consider a Nissan either ...just because of the behavior of these people.

Reply to
hls

This is actually good, since firing up an ICE for a 2 mile ride causes more problems than driving 400 miles non-stop.

Reply to
Hachiroku

In message , =?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_$B%O%A%m%/(B?writes

Most people don't even know that driving 1000 miles straight off, causes less wear that two cold starts, because once the engine is up to temperature and fully lubricated wear stops.

Reply to
Clive

My Scion never goes less then 5 miles, and rarely even that. Usually 12 miles at least.

I have beaters I drive to the store.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I tell them I'll pay sticker, not a penny more.

Reply to
Hachiroku

He must have been an imbecile even to over 5 large over sticker. I might pay sticker if I had a real hard-on for a vehicle...but not a penny more.

Reply to
Sharx35

??

Reply to