Wheels n Tires

Some of the newer cars/trucks are sporting odd tire sizes.

I've seen wheels up to 22" ( SUVs ) and tires with narrow side-walls.

What are the advantages to these "large diameter - skinny sidewall" tires ?

Is there a reason ? Or is this just a styling trend ?

Reply to
Anonymous

Yeah, there is a reasoning. It gives more handling ability, as the sidewalls (being less of them) flex and roll less.

Of course, 22" (or even 24") is complete styling. For my car to take them, it would need a 225/25R22 or so to use this wheel. Yes I know that size is not made. Yes I know I just made that number up, but only to make a point. And if I had that size rims, it would look silly, wouldn't it. (87 Regal) Vuarra

Vuarra

gota have some chrome... it's the latest trend from the brothers.

these SUV's aren't going on the race track so the benefit of less sidewall for better handling isn't achieved for street posers. the outer tire diameter needs to maintain stock size to keep with the speedometer acuracy.

pot holes and rough road takes their toll on those aluminum wheels.

remember those wheel extenders about 15 or so years ago?

-a|ex

Reply to
127.0.0.1