You own or you work on Cavalier, no ear say here just fact please...

I am the guy on the GM group asking the question about the Ecotec.

Now I wonder if its a good idea to buy this cavalier with an auto transmission for my son ? Year 2002/2003.

Biggest problem that I should know about ? I am a pretty decent backyard mechanics so most of the repair will be done by the poor father ;-(( !!!

Thanks for your input gentleman

Richard

Reply to
Rick

Try this forum

Reply to
hdd

No "ear say", just the fact please? Whatever. Hearsay would also be considered to be the reputation of a vehicle, but since you don't want that, so be it.

Good idea? Very hard to answer. You haven't provided any information about price, mileage, condition, seller, and a host of other considerations. Hard to give any facts that might be relevant.

Poor father doing all the work - you've got my sympathies on that point. I know all about that role.

I can't tell you a single "fact" about a 2002/2003 Cavalier, but my daughter owns a 2000 Sunfire with a 2.2L, which is essentially the same car. Hers has ~110,000 miles on it and the repair history has been limited to one rear wheel bearing (parts - ~$120), and fuel tank and pump/sender. This second repair was performed by a shop since it broke down out of town and the repair that should have been in the neighborhood of $200-$300 was around $600.

You can object to this if you wish, but when you come into a forum with a subject line like this one it implies that you consider your time or your thought process to be above that of others. "Just fact please" seems to state that you have little regard for what takes place in a forum like this. Indeed there is a lot of stuff bounced around that is less than factual, but that's the nature of a forum. People don't share information in a place like this simply to jump to a poster's demand for "just the fact please". There's actually a lot to be gleaned from the stuff that you might not consider to be fact. I suspect no insult is intended by your subject line and that you're trying to cut to the chase in the interest of time, but my personal reaction to it was that it came across as somewhat demanding.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Well said, Mike.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Mike and Al, sorry if my demand sound rude to you guys. I am a french canadian with a limited vocabulary in English.

I was with the subject line trying to keep away the One track minded owner of Japanese, German or Gods know what else to come and polute the post with their story of a guy knowing another guy in another country that is having problem with a Cavalier !!

In others words I was trying to gather response from the peoples with knowledge of the product.

Once again, it was not my intention to be rude , my apologise are gladly offered !! ;-)

Reply to
Rick

Get a Corolla and save the time it takes to fix the cavalier...

Reply to
Dan J.S.

My suggestion: If you're going to try to work on it yourself, the 2.2L engine is a lot easier to work on.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Hey Rick - no need to apologize.

Not here Rick. The only thing the Toyota and Honda owners ever post here is that their cars never break, or their glee at GM's problems.

And in the case of my reply to you Rick - my comments are only slightly more than useless. My daughter's car does not have an Ecotec in it. She has the basic 2.2L. Though the experiences she has had with non-engine related performance of the car remain valid, they offer no insight for you with respect to Ecotek performance. Sorry.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Some Cavalier owners are surprised there is no dipstick for the transmission,

Good Luck

Harryface

05 Park Avenue 36,921 91 Bonneville LE 306,353
Reply to
Harry Face

Yes like my Malibu 97

Reply to