02 civic, disk brake pin bolts

My first time changing pads on a honda. have the manual, which says to remove the bottom pin bolt and rotate the caliper up. The bolt is very difficult and even after loosening a couple of turns with a breaker bar is still very stiff. I am worried about damaging it. Are these bolts the type that are hard to turn for the whole thread pattern? the manual says they should only be tighted to 25 ft-lbs. It is taking a lot more than that to turn these bolts.

Louis

Reply to
THE LAD

did you squirt them with wd-40? they should loosen up some with that. no they dont have a tight fit for the full rotation of the bolt, once it breaks loose they should be quite easy to turn. You sure you loosened the correct bolt?

fish

Reply to
fish

Louis,

the bolt you should be removing is #19 in this diagram.

Fish.

Reply to
fish

Hmmm, I would choose #15 as bolt #19 holds the caliper jail onto the steering knuckle and there's no need to completely remove the calipers if the OP is just changing the pads.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Hope you got everything settled Louis. I just changed my brakes in my

1993 Civic, so it was probably tighter than yours, but it should come off. Make sure you just remove the bottom screw in the back of the caliper. Once that is gone, then I would suggest bleeding the brakes a little, and push the caliper up. It is quite quick to do, and once your done with one the other one is a breese.

This was my first time doing mine, and it took me a while to figure what to do, but after I did the first one. I removed the wheel, pushed up the caliper, and installed the new brakes in about 10 minutes.

Reply to
mopa