Replacing Brakes & Rotors - Difficulty factor ('89 260E & '96 C280)

I have an '89 260E and a '96 C280.

What is the difficulty factor in changing the brakes and rotors? Do new rotors have to be cut?

I've done brakes jobs in the past. GM cars with shoes and drums.

I cannot find any guides on-line. Are there any available?

Many thanks in advance.

Popeye

Reply to
Popeye

Should be easy if you have done disc brakes before. There are wear sensors that simply clip into the pads which you may have to replace if they have worn against rotor.

Find wear sensor and unplug wire at connector. Note the position of the 2 pad reatining pins and the anti rattle clip visible in the large hole on top of the caliper. With a small diameter punch or other tool, tap out the 2 pad retaining pins from the outside. Remove the anti rattle clip. Separate pads and remove. Remove the two caliper bolts (on the inside of the caliper) and hang the caliper out of the way. (You may have to turn the steering wheel to get at bolts). An allen screw holds the rotor on.

I always turn rotors to prevent pulsing later on. I've been using Raybestos (or Carquest) ceramic pads on my cars lately and like them a lot - good feel without the nasty black dust.

Caliper bolt torque for the E class: front=85 ft-lbs rear=37 ft-lbs (w/o traction control)

MB recommends using new caliper mounting bolts. ( and maybe anti rattle clips, and guide pins).

.............Scott D

Reply to
Scott D

For the 260E (I also have an 89 260E) the procedure is different if you have the Girling 2-bolt calipers that flip up to expose the pads. The process is a lot easier:

Remove brake fluid reservoir cap, stuff a rag at in the top. Remove wheel Remove lower caliper bolt, loosen the top bolt. Flip up the caliper, remove the used pads, insert the new pads. Push back the piston within the caliper (use a large C-Clamp or similar) Flip the caliper back down, replace the lower bolt, tighten the top bolt Replace the brake fluid reservoir cap, pump brake pedal until firm. That's it. Takes all of 10 minutes per wheel.

Eric S

Reply to
CyberValley

Unless you want to replace the rotors like he said, in which case you have to remove the calipers completely from their mounting points (both top and bottom) to get the rotor off. Still, the job is much easier than the same on a GM disk brake, and MUCH easier than drum brakes (I HATE DRUM BRAKES!).

Bill Balmer

Reply to
William Balmer

Yep. Even with the rotor removal, it should be a pretty easy and quick job. I will never again pay to have brakes done.

Reply to
CyberValley