03 Accord -100K mi. - upcoming road trip

My 03 Accord 4cyl with 100k will be doing two road trips this summer across the Arizona/California desert. It still has the original water pump, hoses and plugs. Thinking about the following maintence before heading out: Water Pump Coolant thermostat Upper and Lower Radiator Hoses Fuel Filter Oil Change Serpentine Belt & tensioner spark Plugs transmission fluid brake fluid

HAs anyone had a water pump go past 100k on these cars? Or the serpentine belt and hoses? I'm impressed tehy ahve lasted so long - interested in others experiences.

Reply to
breeze

Ask your dealer or shop about what's included in their complete timing belt replacement package (lots of the items on your list should be included and the timing belt, not on your list, is due for replacement). Hoses: a mechanic can tell you whether your hoses are OK. Yeah, the other items are routine maintenance and should be done. May as well change the power steering fluid and air filter while you're at it and a throttle body cleaning isn't a bad idea. How's the PCV valve? How old is the battery? You might also want to check the spare tire and be sure you have the tools (lug nut wrench) and ability to do it yourself. Enjoy the trip.

Reply to
ACAR

don't touch the fuel filter unless you're having fuel starvation problems. and i'll bet you're not.

and make sure transmission fluid is drain and fill, never flush. i wouldn't bother with radiator hoses either, the car is only 5 years old

- it's not detroit garbage.

as for the rest, honda don't have a serpentine belt, but they do have accessory and timing belts. you're at that time when they need to be done. best thing is to dig out ye olde faithful owner manual and follow the service schedule laid out in there. you'll note that it doesn't include coolant pump. while it's common practice to replace, the genuine honda article lasts a /long/ time. i had a crx with 305k miles, and i got it cheap because the original factory pump had finally failed. on the one hand, for the sake of $50 during a $600+ job, it's not worth skimping. on the other, provided you've used quality non-silicate coolant, it will probably last until the next timing belt change. same for the tensioners - they just spin, they don't have much load.

Reply to
jim beam

eh. Not really. they're just average is my experience.

And besides, it costs what--$20? While he's in there changing the timing (and accessory!) belt, it's ludicrous not to change the water pump.

Yes, use Honda parts. Really. That includes coolant. To do otherwise is penny-wise and pound foolish.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Absolutely no problem if you've followed the maintenance schedule recommended at each 10,000 mile interval. Hondas dont get cranky until their 2nd or 3rd 100K.

Reply to
rick++

I have an '03 and 04 Accord 4 cyl. Honda made big changes on the '03 model as apposed to older Honda cars. First of the engine is on the passenger side of the car and not the drivers side as older Honda's are. The water pump is not driven buy the timing belt because there is no timing belt. The cams are driven by a chain. There are also no accesory belts, all under the hood is driven by a single serpentine belt. If it were my car i would change the plugs and service the trans and call it good. Scott

-- Message posted using

information at

zonie

This car has no timing belt and does have a single serpintine belt. Cams are chain driven and water pump driven by serpentine belt. Scott

-- Message posted using

information at

zonie

Hi, I live in Phoenix but only have 90,000 on my '03 4cyl Accord. I think Honda says 105,000 on the plugs and 7 years or 120,000 on coolant . I checked my coolant a few weeks ago. Still at factory specs. I even went so far as to drain my radiator down so I could look in at condition of the inside of the radiator. Shined a light in to see what looked like a brand new radiator, no deposits and no calcium build up. Honda coolant the best there is. My serpentine belt looks new. I drive my car in desert heat every day. We have been over 110 for the last 9 days with 117 on Sat. Enjoy your trip and try not to worry. Scott

-- Message posted using

information at

zonie

Many thanks - as for the timing belt, the manual says "for 6 cylinder model only" - I'm going to confirm that with the dealer tomorrow. I think I'm not going to fix what's not broke. Water pump is solid, no leaks and the belts are not fraying.

Reply to
breeze

Yes, I dropped it at Earnhardt's this afternoon and decided to do just that. The serpentine looked really good - no fraying or cracks. Water pump has no leaks or noise- this is an awesome car and I can't believe it's got 100 k and still solid as a rock. Bring on the heat!

Reply to
breeze

Thats what it looks like I'm going to do. Probably do the power steering fluid as we. This is a great car and so solid after 100k. Thanks for the reply.

Reply to
breeze

Great, good to know. This car is so tight to this day, other vehicles I've owned are on their second water pump at 100 K.

Reply to
breeze

Really - drain and fill on the tranny fluid? What's the deal on the flush?

Reply to
breeze

  1. drain and fill is honda factory procedure.
  2. flush introduces contaminants. it shouldn't in theory, but people always seem to have problems afterwards. probably because you inherit other peoples crud from the machine.
Reply to
jim beam

ok, thinking older model.

Reply to
jim beam

  • it's not a serpentine belt
  • you can't tell whether the belt is going to go or not based on a visual inspection
Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

????

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote in news:elmop- snipped-for-privacy@nntp9.usenetserver.com:

aren't Honda motors TRANSVERSE mounted?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns9AC75511AA47Fjyanikkuanet@64.209.0.84:

or did he mean "FRONT of the engine"? The K-series motors are opposite of older Honda motors such as H,D,or B- series.

Reply to
Jim Yanik