1992 Civic Transmission

Because I really love my car I want to know whether or not it is worth fixing.

Here?s the problem - The car is an automatic and when I shift into D4 (that?s what it says on the dash board) the gear light starts to flash (where before it was a steady light) and the engine revs almost to 8.

The car has about 240K on it. The original owner did not keep up with regular maintenance (spark plugs, timing belt, etc.). I have given the car a complete engine make over, including replacing the radiator fan and the Alternator.

My question is - what is wrong with the transmission? Is this a major thing? Or, will it be a minor fix?

Reply to
La_Azul_Diamante

------------------

The dipstick is the place to start. How full is it, how does it smell, and what color is the fluid if you put it on a sheet of paper? Why would -you- shift into D4 ? Don't you just leave it in D4 and let it shift for you, or is that because you climb a lot of hills? When you got the car did you change the ATF, and if so, what brand did you put in?

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_ _

"motsco_ _" wrote: > La_Azul_Diamante wrote: > > Because I really love my car I want to know whether or not > it is worth > > fixing. > > > > Here?s the problem - The car is an automatic and when I > shift into D4 > > (that?s what it says on the dash board) the gear light > starts to flash > > (where before it was a steady light) and the engine revs > almost to 8. > > > > The car has about 240K on it. The original owner did not > keep up with > > regular maintenance (spark plugs, timing belt, etc.). I > have given > > the car a complete engine make over, including replacing the > radiator > > fan and the Alternator. > > > > My question is - what is wrong with the transmission? Is > this a major > > thing? Or, will it be a minor fix? > > ------------------ > > The dipstick is the place to start. How full is it, how does > it smell, > and what color is the fluid if you put it on a sheet of paper? > Why would -you- shift into D4 ? Don't you just leave it in > D4 and let > it shift for you, or is that because you climb a lot of hills? > When you > got the car did you change the ATF, and if so, what brand did > you put in? > > 'Curly'

When I start the car then shift gears, reverse is okay then when I change gears to drive forward, that is when the light blinks and the engine revs really high. I shifted back into reverse to see what would happen and the car wouldn?t move and the RPMs remained high.

What is an ?ATF?? I don?t know if my mechanic friend changed that for me. Unfortunately, I know almost nothing about cars except for paying for repairs.

Reply to
La_Azul_Diamante

--------------------------

If you don't own an Owner's manual for your Honda, please order the correct one from your Honda dealer. ATF is Automatic Transmission Fluid, and the ONLY one you should be using is Honda Z1. Look on your reciepts and see what the heck he put in it. If it's got non-Honda fluid in it, you need to get it replaced ASAP.

'Cruly'

Reply to
motsco_ _

La_Azul_Diamante wrote in news:1_612138 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com:

Have a look (or have your mechanic have a look) here:

here:
here:
A common fail point is one of the Shift Control Solenoids.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

----------------------

Maybe the Original Poster can shift manually for now . . .

Hey, TeGGer, would the 'exploding capacitors' in the ECU give the same symptoms? It's about that vintage, right?

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_ _

"motsco_ _" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@interbaun.com:

Phoo, I dunno. You're the electronics expert, not me.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

don't think so. that was a problem in the early 2000's. in the p.c. world at any rate. i have a mobo souvenir filled with the wretched things.

Reply to
jim beam

I look for the X stamped in the top - if they bulge, it's time to start budgeting for a replacement. If they leak, it's time to spend the budget.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee