1994 Honda Civic won't start

There is a trick to it; Don't try to unbolt the relay. Rather, pull the guts out of it while the housing is still in place. Then you can resolder and re-install, or you can put the guts from a new replacement relay into the old housing.

Reply to
Randolph

"Remco" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

Not a total,crank-to-death no-cylinder-firing no-start,but a stumbling,erratic misfiring no-start.I didn't get that from his post.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"B Squareman" wrote in news:V3SQe.969$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com:

Here he gives a slightly better description;"spun good",but no start. He didn't mention any misfiring like one would get if there were leaking spark impulses.

"spun good" but not starting is a typical failed MR indicator.

Says who? the OP didn't give any indication of leaking HV like misfiring or stumbling,only "no start" which doesn't describe anything.

Smoke would indicate that some cylinders were igniting,at least part of the time,and there would be misfiring and stumbling in trying to start it.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Randolph wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@junkmail.com:

Can anyone send me a photo of a relay that's in that location? I'd like to add it to the relevant FAQ page to complement the pics that are there now.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Tegger, I emailed you a photo from my 94 civic. Let me know if you need a re-send.

Reply to
hutchtoo

It could be the fuel pump. My '90 Accord did the same exact thing a couple years ago.

Reply to
Pin Geek

The OP hinted that "It's very humid, rainy." The OP crank but won't start in this condition. A leaking HV from the coil straight to ground via moisture (and never making it to the plug wires) will crank but not sputter. And yes, if it's leaking from a spark plug wire or two, it will stumble/misfire. We shouldn't be too adamant about one scenario.

Reply to
B Squareman

The problem is fixed. After finding the ignition coil was bad, but after having subjected the rotor and assembly to lots of abuse removing the seized rotor screw, I decided to replace the entire distributor.

Against some people's advice, I've purchased a $185 non-OEM distributor (plus new cap and rotor) at the AutoZone down the street. I made this cost/convenience decision based on my short time horizon for this car and low mileage. The new distrbutor fixed the problem. If it fails in the future I will send an update.

Thanks again to everyone for all the feedback.

Reply to
hutchtoo

Congratulations! Did the non-OEM distributor include a new coil and new ignitor?

Thanks for the update, and way to hang in there. :-)

"hutchtoo" wrote

Reply to
Elle

Yes, it included both a coil and ignitor, and has a lifetime guarantee. It did not include a rotor or cap.

I should also put a good word in for AutoZone. Those guys were a big help getting the seized rotor screw out.

Reply to
hutchtoo

"hutchtoo" wrote

Wow. For $180, even if it dies in say, six months, that's worth it.

I toast AZ. :-)

Reply to
Elle