99 Maxima ran good when turned off - now won't start

99 Nissan Maxima w/3.0L EFI and automatic, 135k miles. It was started and move from garage so kids could play while raining. Started easily and ran well to bring back into
garage. Next day, it cranks as it should but, won't start. It will fire momentarily if carb cleaner sprayed into intake which suggest it is getting ignition. I have no other way to check this one. It has COP all of which were replaced a couple of months back like many Nissans. Plugs are also new. I do not hear anything that sounds like fuel pump activity when the key is turned on. I believe this is fuel or lack of fuel related. I have been unable to find a fuel inertia shutoff switch on this one and I cannot find one in the only wireing diagram we were able to find for the fuel circuits. The fuel pump fuse is good with power passing thru the terminals and there does not appear to be a relay in this one. Does anyone have any idea what I am looking for before we simply dissect the whole damn car? I don't want to shotgun it with parts to get it going.
Lugnut
lugnut wrote:

Assuming your Maxima doesn't have an immobilizer key recognition issue, I would check fuel pressure first. It doesn't require that much 'dissection' to get started. Find out what vital component you are missing before getting worried about the advanced tests. BTW, the FP relay is in the left kickpanel area -- and there is no Fordesque inertia switch on Maximas.
Toyota MDT in MO
On 21 Feb 2006 22:03:29 -0800, "Comboverfish"

Thanks. I'll take a look. As far as I can tell neither ignition key works. This thing belongs to my sister. It is still sitting hoping we come up with something. It is a long haul (ie expensive tow) from where the car is to anyone known to be competent in Nissan repair. It appears that I may have to cut the mumified fuel hose to check the fuel pressure. From what I can learn so far, there is not a pressure tap as found on most cars I am familiar with.
Thanks
Lugnut
lugnut wrote:

Other than their God awful repair manuals, Nissans aren't moch different than any other car. Anyone that can fix cars will be able to diagnose this one quickly. They may not have the factory Consult scantool to deal with a possible immobilizer issue, though.

That's what banjo bolt adapters are for. Find the fuel filter or the fuel line to fuel rail junction and one of those should be a banjo bolt. Another option: I don't remember if the '99 uses a quick disconnect fitting, but if it does, it should be the same diameter as the common size quick disconnect adapter found in many pressure tester kits. Star makes a decent kit with an assortment of banjo fittings for cheap. You could probably get one through a Car Quest or Napa via their distribution warehouse same day if you live in a metro area.

On 22 Feb 2006 07:42:12 -0800, "Comboverfish"

Problem solved this AM! It was my BIL who is a cheapskate sometimes. He wanted another key which he had made at Home Depot after I told him it would not work. He had kept trying to have start it with the generic key while pumping the gas flooding the hell out of it. Friend with passing knowledge of Nissans stopped by and after hearing this which was not admitted to me was able to floor the fuel and start it in under 15 secs with the correct key. The bogus key is the one he gave me when I was trying to get it going. Now, if I can get my shoe out of his ass......
Lugnut

How did you get your foot and his head up there simultaneously?
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 18:40:06 -0500, NickySantoro

My sister had pulled it out so she could rip it off! It is likely this could be a looooooong dry spell at home for him.
Lugnut
lugnut wrote:

That's what I meant by 'possible immobilizer issue'. The transponder key security system, IOW. Glad you got it running.
Toyota MDT in MO