1995 Honda Civic EX White smoke

Okay, I have read all the discussions about Hondas and white smoke and have heard similar stories to mine but not exactly like mine so here it is: Last week I was driving to work and notice that every time I accelerated my car that there was white smoke, nothing else at first just a lot of white smoke. Continued on my journey and the first time I hit a hill on my commute I had TONS of white smoke and my engine seemed like it was really struggling so I took it to the Honda dealership. I told them that there was white smoke coming out of my car and that I did have an oil leak, I didn't know if they were connected or not but would like it fixed along with an oil change. They checked and indeed I did have an oil leak and need to have my O- Rings and Valve Cover gasket replaced. They fixed these things and I was on my merry way. Got about 5 miles stop and go traffic into my drive home when the smoke started again only this time there was a rattling involved and I smelled oil buring. I called the dealership and they told me to bring in back in the next day and that I should be just fine driving home. So I drove it home and had a friend check my car just to be on the safe side about driving back to the dealership and he discovered that I had very little oil in my car! He added some oil and I smoked my way home and then the next day to the dealership. The dealership looked over my engine and said that there was nothing to be done I needed a new engine since there was oil in the spark plugs and valves. They did tell me that conceivably I could drive the car around for another two years as long as I check my spark plugs and oil level. I don't understand the problem. Can I not get my engine fixed rather than replaced? Does it sound like the headgasket? Also my car does not overheat in the slightest (it was in the 90's out here the day all this started) my friend checked my temp gauge and it's working yet no overheating like everyone else I've talked to. My oil isn't milkly and my antifreeze levels seem fine, it's just the oil. Sorry this is so long thanks for listening and any advice given

Reply to
Lena Fields

Also the mileage is 154,450but the engine is only 2 years old with about 40,000 miles on it, it was rebuilt by honda.

Reply to
Lena Fields

Well, there is definitely a mystery here. if there was just a leaky gasket/o rings (in the cam cover, I assume) in the first place, then that shouldn't have led to white smoke when accelerating or engine struggling. And not to engine death the next day. And, god knows what could possibly lead to oil in "the spark plug**S**" One cylinder getting oiled up, sure, could be anything from a valve seal to a hole in the piston, but more than one???????

You need a second opinion, for sure.

They said it was all four cylinders. They said they didn't investigate the smoke problem since I said I "thought" it was related to the oil leak. But from what I've read since that point the smoke would have been gray not white, right? They didn't go into detail except to say that I need a new engine to the tune of $3,000 so it would be better to buy one of their cars.

Reply to
Lena Fields

You can get a used JDM engine for much less, and have it installed by a shop specializing in Japanese cars. All told, you'll probably be out a little over a grand.

Reply to
Joe LaVigne

Really? That's all? My husband in calling around has gotten the close to the 3 grand mark from other shops around here. Honda offered me a used engine for the $3,000, I shudder to think what a new one would run. Do you think it could be fixed though, my current one? Or is it hopeless?

Reply to
Lena Fields

Go the JDM route. It will prove to be the simplest and most effective action.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Have him call some of the smaller specialty shops. The ones that will do the job for a flat rate.

I had a 6 cylinder replaced in a 97 Caravan for $1000 including all parts and labor. A used JDM is inexpensive, and will last for a long time. Most likely longer than your motor would if you had it rebuilt.

Reply to
Joe LaVigne

He has called around, Honda said that in fact they have no clue what is wrong with my engine so they said it just needs to be replaced. We found a guy on craigslist that said he could replace the engine for $500 labor and 600 to 700 for the engine. His auto shop said they could do it for 1000 to 1700. I also need my rack and pinion (yet another issues but unrelated) replaced and everyone says 700.

Reply to
Lena Fields

please find yourself a decent mechanic. anyone that says they have no clue so just replace the engine, is too stoned to be worthy of your business. for comparison, call around some of the honda "2ner" shops and ask for quotes from people that actually /like/ hondas.

and the steering rack, if it actually does need replacing, is easy if the motor's out. shouldn't cost $700.

Reply to
jim beam

space cadets.

buy jdm like this:

jim beam

Yeah, my dealer told me to buy a new car because my head gasket blew. It's pretty scary to hear. But, it's insane. You can buy used Honda engines pretty cheaply. Especially if you live somewhere where "the kids" are swapping the stock engines for the B series engines and will take just about any price for the old one. First find out exactly what is wrong with the old one, though. Maybe not exactly, but at least get a good idea.

If it doesn't actually have a hole in the side and inside parts sticking out, it can be fixed. And if the rest of the car is in decent shape, very likely cost effectively. But the used engine route, if available, is cheaper than doing a rebuild or buying a rebuilt. Most junkyards will give you a warranty that the engine isn't defective when installed, and given Honda's reputation for durability that's pretty much all you need.

We are going to take it to the guy we found in the area. I actually have somewhat of a phobia about mechanics because I have yet to have a good trustworthy experience with one. I am going the used engine route, hopefully that is all that needs to be fixed and my car will be up and running again in no time, we're going to have the guy check to see if it is the headgasket although everytime I've read about that the car overheating always happens and mine stays steady at the same temp that it was when I first bought it. I am never going to the dealership again for auto repairs. They did a compression test, or at least that's what they told me and when my husband called them they told him that it "wasn't great" but could give him no other information. Now I'm wondering if the test was even done or if they just had me sit around for hours just so they could get me in the showroom!

Reply to
Lena Fields

[...]

UPDATE:

Took my car to a mechanic I found on craigslist who seems like he knows what he's doing. The fan was disconnected, I think it has been since I had my car alarm put in which means the Honda Dealership should have noticed that, he noticed it right after the hood was up. On the way to the mechanics house (about a 45 min drive) my car did not smoke at all. This was the first time that I had my inside the car fan on while driving cause it was cooler outside than when it is when I'm driving to and from work. He said that my rack and pinion just needs to be binded together rather than replaced based on his view of it. The really funny thing is that my spark plugs had no oil in them at all before we started the drive nor after we got there. He is doing a compression test on my car today and will hold off on the whole new engine thing until that comes back. He said it could be that my V-Tec isn't kicking on like it should. He could see where I had my oil pan dripping oil but couldn't tell if Honda fixed it as they said they did. I will let everyone know what the outcome is and thanks so much to everyone for the advice!

Reply to
Lena Fields