1997 Honda Civic DX intermittent stall, No code(s) displayed

97 civic dx when driving along it just stalls, like a switch was thrown and it just dies. If I try to turn it over it will restart for a moment but then dies again, sometimes it'll run for a min sometimes for a couple but never more than 5minutes after it has stalled. When the car is cold it starts and drives without issue.

No Code is displayed or shown, the CEL does NOT come on and there are no codes stored.

I'm thinking it's the Main Relay but... It's a blistering 37deg F here in Oregon at the moment! Still a bad relay?

it's not putting out a code 16 which I would expect either...

Anyone have any idea?

thanks for the imput!

Reply to
ChaoticEntity

check the ignition switch - this vehicle was subject to the great ignition switch recall.

in future, remove all the junk off your key ring, and make sure the key id turned fully back to "run" after "start".

[code 16 is for obd0 vehicles. this is obdII]
Reply to
jim beam

--------------------

Your recall notice is here:

Like Jim said. I'd add that you should probably use LockEase to baptize all five of the locks on a '97. It will make them all work like new and might solve part of your ignition switch problem.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

Much appreciated, I'll get the switch replaced.

Reply to
ChaoticEntity

that may help defer onset on a new switch, but once the electrical contacts are burned out, it's unlikely to help much.

Reply to
jim beam