2000 Civic Low gas/poor starting

I have a 2000 civic dx 5-speed with 85,000 miles. When my gas tank is below 1/4 tank, the car doesn?t want to start. It will, but it turns over a lot. When the tank is full there is no hestiation at all. I?ve replaced the fuel filter, and and gas cap a (thinking a vacuum/pressure issue). I?m wondering about the fuel pump. Any thoughts?

Reply to
rob

I have heard a lot of people report this same problem. It could be a tired fuel pump or it could just be as simple as letting the pump prime before you try to crank it. You know how you can hear the fuel pump kick on when you turn the key to "On"? Well let it go off before you hit the starter. It only takes 2 or 3 sec. and it could save you some frustration.

Reply to
Street Sniper

Not the obvious thing, but easy to check: try giving the starter a quick "bump," wait a second or so, then try cranking when the fuel is low. If the pressure in the fuel rail bleeds off you will experience hard starting like you describe, and the bump-and-crank procedure allows the fuel pump to repressurize the rail before you actually try to start the engine.

If the bump-and-crank makes the difference, try a bottle of injector cleaner first - cheap, quick and easy. The next step is to replace the check valve, which is probably in the tank (yuck!) Why the symptoms would care about the level of fuel in the tank I don't know, but it *is* an easy test.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

i second that. same on my 00 civic.

Reply to
jim beam

Par for the course.

Reply to
BigBrew

This is my experience as well (94 civic). The workaround is to turn on the ignition (but don't start just yet), wait a few seconds until you hear the fuel pump relay turn off, then start the car.

My personal theory on this is that there is a check valve (well, there IS a check valve, that part is not just theory) to maintain system pressure when the pump isn't running. I speculate that this check valve is in the pump assembly in the tank, and that when the tank is far from empty, the whole check valve is submerged in gas. Thus the seals would be nice and wet, and the check valve holds pressure. When the fuel level is low, the check valve sits above the fuel and the seals dry out and it does not seal properly.

Reply to
Randolph

"" wrote: > rob wrote: > > > > I have a 2000 civic dx 5-speed with 85,000 miles. When my > gas tank is > > below 1/4 tank, the car doesn?t want to start. It will, but > it turns > > over a lot. When the tank is full there is no hestiation at > all. I?ve > > replaced the fuel filter, and and gas cap a (thinking a > > vacuum/pressure issue). I?m wondering about the fuel pump. > Any > > thoughts? > > This is my experience as well (94 civic). The workaround is to > turn on > the ignition (but don't start just yet), wait a few seconds > until you > hear the fuel pump relay turn off, then start the car. > > My personal theory on this is that there is a check valve > (well, there > IS a check valve, that part is not just theory) to maintain > system > pressure when the pump isn't running. I speculate that this > check valve > is in the pump assembly in the tank, and that when the tank is > far from > empty, the whole check valve is submerged in gas. Thus the > seals would > be nice and wet, and the check valve holds pressure. When the > fuel level > is low, the check valve sits above the fuel and the seals dry > out and it > does not seal properly.

Your theory is the same as mine. My hearing is pretty good, but I can?t hear anything noticable before hitting the starter. Maybe that?s the problem. HMMMM. I?ll have to draft a outside listener before I condemn the check valve or pump. Thanks to all. :D

Reply to
rob