03 forester low fuel light?

Does the 03 forester XS have a low fuel warning light. I let the fuel gauge get down to almosr 'E' and never saw a low fuel light come on. Has anyone
seen this light come on. If so, how low do you have to go??
My 2000 Forester has the light come on about a needle width below the E. It that point I can fill with about 12.6 gallons so I still have ~3 gallons in reserve as the tank is 15.6 gallons. ed
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm not letting the tank get low enough to see the light come on. Guess I need more gutts..

It
in

As I recall, my 2003 Forester's low fuel light comes on right about at E and has 2-3 gallons left at that point. (I'm not the primary driver of it)
You know it holds 15.9 gallons, so why not just note the position of the needle and how much gas you needed to fill it up and just run it a little lower each time? That way you won't have to worry about running all the way out. Alternative: carry a gas can.
-DanD
--
# Dan Duncan (kd4igw) snipped-for-privacy@pcisys.net http://pcisys.net/~dand
# It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand

PeterD
Hi, At the bottom of tank it could be water too as well as crud. One thing is if the fuel starts slosh around, fuel pump can suck air and even run dry momentarily which is bad. Living in cold climate, we never let the fuel gauge go below 1/4 full. 30 mins. commuting can be couple hours when weather turns bad. We don't want to run out of gas in the traffic jam. I always think cops should give tickets to those drivers who run out of gas on the road blocking traffic. That is negligence. Tony
PeterD wrote:

I'm not seriously proposing he run all the way out, (the gas can was a joke) but knowing when his low fuel light comes on (and that it works) is probably a worthwhile experiment. Mine has 2-3 gallons left when the light comes on, so I don't try to avoid the light coming on. I just start looking for a gas station when it does.
-DanD
--
# Dan Duncan (kd4igw) snipped-for-privacy@pcisys.net http://pcisys.net/~dand
# Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

PeterD

I have an '04, but I doubt it's different from the '03 on this point. I just noticed in the owner reference card last night: light comes on at 2.3 gallons.

I have a new 04 Forrester XT and the fuel warning light does not come on until the needle hits E. I then have about 9 litres left. I have test this and it is Correct.