2000 Honda Accord

My check engine light has ben on for a couple of months now. I took the car to get it inspected and they told me it is an automatic failure because of the CEL. I took the car to a mechanic and he said that the air intakes are clogged with Carbon. He said that he is going to clean them out and replace the valve associated with it. Cost $800. I asked him if he would go ahead and inspect it after the fix. He said I had to drive the car for 100 miles or so for the fix to register and pass inspection. Does that sound right? I know nothing about cars.

Reply to
shetheredge

-----------------------------

Nobody has a ten-foot pole they want to touch this one with ??

(first sentence and last sentence make sense to me)

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

In many (most?) test areas, that's true. The ECU won't complain immediately about a lot of errors but will wait to see if the problem is persistent. Because of that, the ECU will also report if errors have been wiped clean recently and the emissions test can't be completed until those indications are clear.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"shetheredge" wrote in news:658273cc54d16@uwe:

No, he means the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) passages are clogged with carbon.

What was the exact error code? P0401? P1491?

If you have a V6, there is a known issue with the EGR. It is covered by TSB 99-085. Doesn't save you any money, but will fix your problem.

The 100 mile thing sounds right, the $800 thing does not. Does he plan to spend six hours on this?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Reply to
shetheredge via CarKB.com