Mark Savoy

"Mark Savoy" wrote in news:a0iug.121790$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

So,it CRANKS,but doesn't start,or starts,dies,then only cranks for 10-15 minutes? Then starts and runs fine? Worse in hot weather? Occurring more frequently lately?

#1. MAIN RELAY! (runs the fuel pump)

see

Jim Yanik

Read the part in the owner's manual about the immobilizer very carefully. Play with it, understand it. Learn what the icon is supposed to do. Remove excess keyrings or try your other key. If you don't have immobilizer, try what the manual suggests for 'FLOODED ENGINE'. Hold the pedal to the metal and crank it. If it starts up with a cloud of smoke, it was flooded. That's caused by an injector leaking overnight. Is it most likely to do it Monday morning??

A can of Techron in the gas will often cure it. I used a tank or two of Gasohol and it cured mine.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

have you pulled any codes? if it's a genuine ignition problem, it'll likely show. otherwise it's likely leaky injectors. run injector cleaner through it for a couple of tanks.

Reply to
jim beam

It started on the first crank this morning so I tried again with an ignition key that does have the immobilizer chip i.e. an ordinary key made at Walmart. With this key, it demonstrated the same symptoms as before and the immobilizer icon flashed. I don't recall seeing this flashing when it wouldn't start yesterday but I could have overlooked it. I'm kind of paranoid about driving it; it is home now so I don't want it to get stuck somewhere.

I want to check the codes as Jim Beam suggested but I don't have a decoder. Can anyone recommend one? I also have a 2003 GMC Sierra so ideally I would want one that works on it as well.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Savoy

obdc II readers work on all n.a. cars post 96. just google for online retailers, or go to woolmort. many choices under $100.

Reply to
jim beam

It started fine when I moved it out of the garage yesterday morning. When I went to move it back in the garage later that afternoon, the engine cranked but it was clear the ignition wasn't firing. I had a friend of mine come and pick me up and when he got there 10 minutes later it started on the first try. Yesterday was the first time I experienced this problem. I tried again this morning and it started on the first attempt. At this point, it seems to be immobilizer related as Curly suggested. I really need to run the codes to see if it something else.

Thanks again everyone,

Mark

Reply to
Mark Savoy

"Mark Savoy" wrote in news:9Nsug.121869$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

How did you determine it was the ignition? If you don't have fuel pressure,the engine cranks,but doesn't -start-.

Honda main relay is a very common failure problem.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

sure, but not so common on the later models, /and/ this model honda is subject to ignition switch recall.

Reply to
jim beam