2002 Civic Coolant ?'s

color is irrelevant - it's chemistry that matters. there are a number of high quality non-silicate anti-freezes on the market, no two with the same color afaict. if you /knew/ what was in there, maybe you could stop worrying.

there's two drain plugs - bottom right of the rad [left if you're facing the engine] and the drain plug on the engine block. if it's a d-series, it's a largish hex plug lower left as you face the motor. you'll need a new gasket when replacing. and you'll need to repeat this process at least twice - the coolant in the climate control system never drains.

one last thing - don't use tap water when refilling, use distilled.

Reply to
jim beam

My son just bought a 2002 Civic and it is a pretty damn nice car. Since my daughter has a 2000 CRV I know about the Honda blue coolant. The Civic has green coolant in it and I need to know what is the best way to flush the evil green stuff and get the blue in the block. Where are the drain plugs on the 2002 civic and what is recommended for flushing the system.

TIA

Reply to
jst

jst wrote in news:KzQvi.204534$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe13.lga:

Is the existing coolant dull, dark green or a luminous bright green?

Dull, dark green is older Honda OEM. Luminous bright green is evil aftermarket.

The best way to "flush"is simply to drain it all -- including pulling the block drain. Then stick a garden hose in the rad filler neck, and spray water in until all orifices run clear. Let it all drain, plug up the openings, then refill with genuine Honda Type-2 premix.

Reply to
Tegger

Thanks for the replies I will do the flush and put some blue in the block.

Tegger, did you used to spend time on the Toyota group a few years back?

Reply to
jst

jst wrote in news:i1qwi.95675$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe14.lga:

Yeah. Got tired of the politics. I still lurk there occasionally, just in case good technical stuff might come up.

Reply to
Tegger