2002 Honda Struts - What should I do now?

Driver side front strut failed ~6 months ago. I was ~2000 miles over warranty. Wrote a letter to Honda USA, and they said they would cover the failed strut, and only the failed strut.

Went to the dealership for the service and offered to pay for the other strut because I had heard you should have them replaced in pairs. Dealership recommended I only replace the one strut because car only had 38000 miles on it and "Driver weight stresses the driver side strut, more than passenger side. Therefore driver side wears much faster." They replaced only the one side. Slight pull to right in the car, but I was told that will go away as the new strut wears.

Now, 4 months after the service, 5000 miles later, car still pulls and just noticed car leans to the driver side about an inch. I figure this is the cause of the pull.

What need to be done here? Have I been screwed beyond belief? Is there a height adjustment that would level the car?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nate

Reply to
Llatikcuf

if the other strut is damaged, but you have one good one you should still be fine. You can go to autozone, or advancedautoparts are get a new one. They actually are cheap.

Cost is $60 each, plus when you bring back the old one you get a refund of $40.00 so in other words it only will cost you $20.00 + labor. I wouldn't spend more than $50.00 to have someone install it. It's a fairly easy job, and takes less than 15 minutes to install (if the person knows what they are doing)

Good luck!

Reply to
mopa

i'd call the main honda usa customer service #, explain the problem & that you're getting no dice from the dealer, say that the issue is clearly a defective suspension problem you consider to be very dangerous, and have them arrange for the dealer to fix the problem. any new honda part is guaranteed for 12 months. you should not need to pay.

Reply to
jim beam

Did you buy the car new? When I had my 02 Civic, I received a voluntary recall (from Honda Canada) for the front struts. The dealership checked them and since they were not the new re-engineered struts, they were replaced at no charge and I received $100.00 Honda voucher for my troubles. Maybe get the dealership to check your VIN number for that recall?

Rick

Reply to
Skipper

Yea, I bought the car new. No recall in the USA though.

Sucks.

-n

Reply to
Llatikcuf

as jim said, call the dealership and tell them where you bought the car they refuse to do anything about it. It's new, so it should not have ANY problems.

I thought that is why people buy new cars, so they don't have to deal with problems such as this.

Reply to
mopa

Re-read the first post, I bought the car new in 2002. Warranty has expired! Car now has 43000 miles on it. Still close to new by my standards, but not new enough for the dealership to care. Dealerships think everyone should buy a new car every 5 years. I'll call Honda USA Monday and see what they say.

Thanks for all the replys, you guys are great.

-N

Reply to
Llatikcuf

the warranty on the car has expired, but not the new part.

jim beam

And what about parts on the recall list, aren't you eligible for that even past warranty?

J.

Reply to
JXStern

I asked the dealer and HONDA USA. They said there was no recall. Maybe there was one in Canada, but not the USA.

-n

Reply to
Llatikcuf