2003 Accord EX Coupe

Girlfriend is having trouble with her transmission. Reading online, it should come as no suprise. Details are...

03 ex coupe v6, auto. 86000 miles. Transmission hesitates when upshifting from 2nd to 3rd. Took it in, they said needed a flush, and needed to replace solenoids on the trans. Now $103 for diagnostics, $360 for flush, sols and labor, and it still does the same thing. Found online that there was a recall. Questioned the dealership about this and they said the recall was done in April 2003. The car wasn't even owned by her at that point. It was still on a lot, brand new, as she was the first owner. Is this even possible. I thought the recall came out in 2004?

Question #1 Do dealers ever do recall work on cars before they sell them?

Question #2 Anyone else had this problem? It seems like the start of the transmission problems they are known for.

The dealership, after being told it wasn't fixed, said that maybe they put in defective solenoids. THEY ARE LUCKY she was talking with them, as I have less tact than she.

Also, anyone know the number for Honda's regional service manager for Sheboygan, Wisconsin area? Lakeland Honda is the name of the dealership and they are a sorry excuse for a dealership.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Joel

Reply to
Just Me

Hey sounds like my local Mitsubishi dealership! Yes the dealership could have done recall work before it was sold. I would take it back to the dealership and tell them to put in the correct solenoids. I would call a different dealership and ask about the recall.

Reply to
william1977

The recall was in 2004. We got the notice in September 04 and had it done then(although the transmission was working perfectly). What the recall called for depended on the car's mileage. There were three things that were done--low mileage got certain items, medium mileage got more and higher mileage got the most things. Also, although it may be hard to believe, some people will get a recall notice and just not bother to bring it in--foolishly reasoning that since they don't see any symptoms there's no point taking it to the dealer.

Ken

Just Me wrote:

Reply to
Kenneth J. Harris

Even if the recall work was done, cars affected by the Honda recall had the tranny warranty upgraded to 7 years, 105K miles by Honda (maybe even more miles with the recent odometer class action suit).

Reply to
L Alpert

I forgot to mention that recall notices don't expire. I bought a used mid-late '70s (it's been awhile) Accord once, and that year had a recall for sound dampening in the front fenders causing rust. I got 2 new fenders and a paint job in '84 or '85.

Call Honda direct and complain. I've done this about a dealer service issue and have gotten results.

Reply to
L Alpert

That applied to the 4-speed automatic on '98-'02 Accords which was never recalled. The '03 and possibly '04 have the 5-speed automatic which was recalled but no warranty extended.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit