2008 Element plastic panels color match? Part 2

As I posted in an earlier post, my 2008 Galaxy Grey Honda Element had been backed into and the right rear plastic panel needed to be replaced and painted to match and the body shop was having trouble matching the paint. The body shop is still having trouble matching the paint so now they told me they will have to remove the back glass and paint all the surrounding panels to blend the paint in so it will match. Is that how paint is usually matched on a car? It seems kind of extreme. Is painting one panel of a almost brand new car normally that hard to match. A 2 day repair job has stretched into a month!

Reply to
applekrate1

"Overspray" to blend (as you describe) is what they should have done initially. They tried to skimp and now they have a re do. Very inconvenient for you, a resource loss for them. An all round poor business decision.....

Reply to
L Alpert

you need to seriously consider whether you allow them to do this, and should escalate the matter with your insurance company with a view to having a proper factory re-spray.

factory match should be a trivial matter. it sounds like the clowns in your shop are trying to visually mix on the spot*, and not doing a very good job. not only can you buy factory matched pre-mix from honda, you can buy guaranteed matches from other places as well:

for example.

  • on-the-spot mixing is very common. it offers great savings on base chemicals and fillers. and it's fine if you're going for a cheapo full spray. but it sucks on partial spray matching, as you're finding out.
Reply to
jim beam