Matching the Mariner Blue '90 paint

Hey all,

Help me sort through my options and give me your opinions of each.

Background:

I need to paint a complete rear trunk lid, partial front bumper, partial rear bumper, and complete rear "filler panel" (plastic between the tail lights).

To my chagrin, I can't find a match for Mariner Blue in the ready-to-go paint selection at the local auto stores. The two major brands that are common here (Plasticoat and the other I forget) had catalogs that omitted Mariner Blue code DU from the '90 through '93 Mazda section. There goes my $4.50/can plan.

I've read about some sort of Dupont color matching system and found mention on miata.net of pantone color matching,

so I know matching ispossible. Apparently these are systems to match the factory colors.But in the case of an old car, mine a '90, is it better, or evenpossible, to match the fade of the existing paint by doing some sortof on-car sample?

I was directed to a professional shop for auto and industrial paint, having been told they can whip up a match. The place was closed for the night. I suspect I'd have to order a minimum quantity.

Any pointers to finding mariner blue in cans without a custom mix? If not, is this match something easy that any competent color shop will be able to do? I presume cans from the dealer are big $ so am looking for cheaper alternatives of course.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Doug,

The pro. auto-paint stores can do a good job of mixing up orig. colors and some will even put it in a spray can for you. You might find a store that will match a fade color, but if you have "color clean" paint on the car (clean, wax & polish) it should match your DU just like when it was new.

Use the underside of the trunk to match the paint. You can also take the "gas cover" in with you for the paint store to use for a match. (underside)

Lots of luck.

Bruce RED '91

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

Won't happen. Every smurf Miata is a slightly different color by now. In fact, each panel on your car is probably a different shade of blue.

Sure, that's their job. Custom spray cans will cost you, but not as much as paying a body shop to paint the car. Maybe $10-15 per can? But you won't get the ultimate benefit of blending the paint into the surrounding panels.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

it won't exactly match your *faded* mariner blue.

Reply to
Ken Lyons

Ken,

Thanks for the link. I'm relieved to see I can get the paint in cans.

I contacted 3 local auto/industrial paint shops today. None do spray cans, two having stopped the sale of them. I could not get a definitive answer as to why from the desk jockeys, but I suspect it has something to do with the AQMD regulations for air quality in L.A. Mazda dealers stock nothing but the small touch up vials.

Liquid quarts of matched Dupont run about $20, with the catalyst another $20, while needing of course a compressor driver spray system. So custom cans are the way to go for a small project like mine. $15 per from Tower + s/h. Although in the future I'd seriously consider painting mine to some outrageous metallic color, burnt orange, bright green.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

I've seen both. IMHO they looked darned good on a Miata.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers