90 Accord ignition noise in AM radio

Where is the ignition noise suppressor in this Honda. In some other cars there was a capacitor across the distributor but with the "pointless" distributors I think that is no longer true. I use the standard spark plugs and have not changed the high tension wires. The noise is worse on low AM frequencies and varies with engine speed.

Reply to
road apple

road apple wrote in news:280220090654327700% snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com:

How old are the plug wires?

Do you have aftermarket wires/rotor?

Reply to
Tegger

In nearly every case I've seen, ignition interference on AM frequencies is the result of a poor ground at the antenna. Repair requires unmounting the antenna (which is easy if the antenna is in the rear fender, otherwise could be difficult) and scraping the metal under the metallic parts of the antenna. Scotchbrite or fine emery cloth are good for that.

The "condensor" (capacitor) in the old Kettering ignition was to allow the points to open without bleeding off the energy in an arc across the points. There could be a bypass condensor on the 12V side of the coil, though.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

My honda with 115,000 mi has the original plug wires and rotor.

Thanks Bob

Reply to
road apple

"Michael Pardee" wrote in news:FL6dnTUkGLwVEzTUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@sedona.net:

I do believe this model does in fact have a radio-suppression capacitor in the feed wire from the ignition switch to the coil. Civic-based cars of the same era have a cap that looks a lot like a Kettering condenser.

Reply to
Tegger

I am going to try grounding the antenna first (it's free). II tried several of the online parts places ie, Majestic and found no capacitor. I can always try my dealer only 2 miles away.

Reply to
road apple