92 Honda Accord Jerking/Surging Problem

Has Anyone Experienced This Problem Before. I have a 92 Honda Accord automatic transmission with 236,000 MI, all the original Honda parts (except for spark plugs, etc.). While driving, car will begin to jerk slightly (skipping; surge; slight hestitation), then go back to normal, then after driving a few more miles, jerk again. It is not continuous while driving, but it occurs every time I drive and frequently. It feels like when someone is learning to drive a manual transmission and they let up off the clutch, but the jerking motion is not quite that "jerky". I also noticed that the Tach. needle bounces slightly when the car is jerking. It does it at various speeds: 45mph, 60mph, 75mph, etc. The only time it doesn?t jerk is if I slow the car down and shift to gear D3, then it stops. Have taken it to the 2 Honda mechanics and the computer will not provide any code to indicate the problem. One mechanic said it may be the Distributor. Another one said it appears to be the Torque Converter in the transmission. But neither was really sure. Please advise if you have had this problem or know someone who has. Thanks.

Reply to
LoveMyHonda

If you've changed your tranny fluid twice, recently, and that didn't help, it's probably your Throttle Position Sensor. It's terribly easy to diagnose. Put an old-fashioned 'needle' Ohmeter accross two of the pins in the TPS connector and SLOWLY open the throttle. If needle spikes, you've found the open spot. It will correspond to 'cruising RPM', which makes sense, right?? Search this group for previous helpful posts about how to replace your TPS for less than an arm-and-a-leg.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_ _

check the ignition switch. it /could/ be the t.p.s., but in my experience, that gives a code. igniton switches don't.

Reply to
jim beam

"motsco_ _" wrote: > LoveMyHonda wrote: > > Has Anyone Experienced This Problem Before. I have a 92 > Honda Accord > > automatic transmission with 236,000 MI, all the original > Honda parts > > (except for spark plugs, etc.). While driving, car will > begin to jerk > > slightly (skipping; surge; slight hestitation), then go back > to > > normal, then after driving a few more miles, jerk again. It > is not > > continuous while driving, but it occurs every time I drive > and > > frequently. It feels like when someone is learning to drive > a manual > > transmission and they let up off the clutch, but the jerking > motion is > > not quite that "jerky". I also noticed that the Tach. > needle > > bounces slightly when the car is jerking. It does it at > various > > speeds: 45mph, 60mph, 75mph, etc. The only time it doesn?t > jerk is if > > I slow the car down and shift to gear D3, then it stops. > Have taken > > it to the 2 Honda mechanics and the computer will not > provide any code > > to indicate the problem. One mechanic said it may be the > Distributor. > > Another one said it appears to be the Torque Converter in > the > > transmission. But neither was really sure. Please advise > if you have > > had this problem or know someone who has. Thanks. > > > If you've changed your tranny fluid twice, recently, and that > didn't > help, it's probably your Throttle Position Sensor. It's > terribly easy to > diagnose. Put an old-fashioned 'needle' Ohmeter accross two of > the pins > in the TPS connector and SLOWLY open the throttle. If needle > spikes, > you've found the open spot. It will correspond to 'cruising > RPM', which > makes sense, right?? Search this group for previous helpful > posts about > how to replace your TPS for less than an arm-and-a-leg. > > 'Curly'

Thanks Curly for the info. Will do.

Reply to
LoveMyHonda