94 Accord LX RH mirror replacement

The right hand mirror got torn off our 94 4dr Accord LX. Nice of Honda to desing these to break away without damage to the door. This car has electric mirrors. Anyone know if there is a cheaper manual-adjust replacement? (Other than putting on a trailer mirror with sheet metal screws :-) ).

-RC

Reply to
RC

just get a replacement from a wrecker's yard. $15.

Reply to
jim beam

Any reason you can't just get an OEM electric mirror from the local junk yard?

Reply to
E. Meyer

I'll try calling around tomorrow. I gave up on wrekcing yards back when they stopped letting me pick parts myself.

-RC

Reply to
RC

That's not necessarily bad. Some of the better yards store the parts on shelf pretty professionally and even give you replacement warranty for it. My '94 Accord's factory radio failed about 10 years ago and when I found out how ridiculously expensive a replacement radio was at the dealership, and I still wanted to stay "pure" Honda, I got one from a good junk yard for $100. Unfortunately that also failed about 5 years later but by then the junk yard was out of business, so I could not avail myself of their warranty. Then I decided to get an aftermarket radio from Crutchfield which turned out pretty good. It's a shame that a Honda factory unit that costs around four or five hundred dollars could not last longer.

Reply to
Cameo

Stereos are another area where I go "aftermarket", if you can call it that. One factory stereo that I replaced was a Panasonic unit installed in a Mazda, and I replaced it with a nice Kenwood that was around $200.00.

Speakers too, I have never owned a car that came with very good speakers. The replacements have always been a big upgrade, and I don't put super-powerful systems with subwoofers and such, so I am not spending thousands of dollars. Probably more than the OEM speakers would run, but well worth it imo.

The last stereo that I replaced was a 1991 unit that didn't even have a CD player, so upgrading was mandatory as far as I was concerned.

Reply to
pws

$50 for a replacement from Woodfin, shipped to my door. Not bad for an electric mirror.

Anyone know offhand how to get that small piece of trim off the inside of the door so I can access the mirror mounting screws?

-RC

Reply to
RC

I have the Honda Service Manual for the '94 Accord and in the link below I reproduced the relavent section from it. It's for the driver side mirror, but should be pretty much the same for the passenger side. I hope you find it useful.

I think you can see the picture better after downloading it.

Reply to
Cameo

Just in case the above link forces you to open a Picasa account, here is another link that should not do that:

Reply to
Cameo

Thanks for that scan. It's a great help.

-RC

Reply to
RC

No prob. Just curious ... how many miles do you have in your Accord? Mine has 287 K and still runs strong.

Reply to
Cameo

This one has 145k miles. It runs great, and has a clean interior. The exterior is a bit scuffed up from the previous owner (father and sister in-law). My teenage son is continuing the trend. :-)

It has the original factory cassette that works fine. The oem speakers are shot. If it was _my_ daily driver, I'd replace it with something basic from Crutchfield (CD/FM/MP3/AUX + speakers, no sub).

Wiper linkage is getting sloppy. It needs new bushings. I believe the fix is to remove the cowl and rplace two links that come with bushings, as they aren't available separately.

Apparently pothole avoidance isn't something stressed in drivers ed. The recently aligned front end has suddenly started pulling right.

This was a Florida car so rust is minimal. It's a great starter car. Everything on it works still works.

-RC

Reply to
RC

I have the same car, one year newer and only 80K miles, well, it will probably hit 80K miles in March. Texas non-coast car so it also has no rust issues.

Everything works without problems except for a blown speaker. It is my daily driver now so my stereo plans for it are identical to your own. I can't see spending big bucks on a car stereo, but the one in there now won't play a CD.

It came with a brand-new set of Pirelli P-5 tires that I really like. The gas mileage is impressive and the range is great with a gas tank that is larger than I am used to.

It is kind of noisy compared to many sedans, but I figure that is part of why it is well under 3000 pounds, and compared to my other car it is actually very quiet.

Reply to
pws

I don't get it how you have such a low mileage in that car. As far as rust issues go, I don't have any either, even though I live in the Seattle area.

As my main use of the radio is to listen to news and talks shows, the speakers are not an issue for me. For some reason the factory radio's LED display is the first to go. The casette issue also bothered me for a while but then I was able to leapfrog the CD technology with MP3 players and an FM radio adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter. However, my latest Crutchfield receiver can use USB sticks loaded with mp3 files.

Yes, I like it, too. I get around 24-25 mpg combined freeway and city mileage. Not bad for a medium sized car.

The road noise bothers me, too, but I consider it an acceptable tradoff. Another thing I wish was better, the turn radius. This car for sure cannot turn on a dime. ;-)

Reply to
Cameo

This 1995 Accord LX was my grandma's car until October of last year when she decided not to renew her license at the age of 92.

Other than a few 200 mile trips, for the most part it only saw a little bit of short-range errand runs.

I put closer to 15K miles a year on my vehicles.

Reply to
pws

Honda doesn't actually make those units. The original unit in my '93 Accord (base model with tape deck) was made by Alpine. When it failed in 2005, I replaced it with a mid-level aftermarket Sony that sounded much better than the original unit, even with the stock speakers.

I plan to do the same thing possibly next year with my 2004 Civic. The unit is not failing but its functionality is very limited.

Reply to
Eternal Searcher

I know and I think my units was also made by Alpine. However, it's Honda's responsibility to be on top of quality control at their suppliers once they put their name on the product.

Reply to
Cameo

Quality control... you mean like Toyota's ? Your post is my joke for the day.

Reply to
Guy

Glad to have brought some humor into your life. Didn't take much.

Reply to
Cameo

Yeah, today wasn't too stressful .

Reply to