99 Accord LX, OBD2 code : P1164

What can be wrong? Can i fix it at home ( considering that i am not a mechanic )? How much would it cost?

thanks for helping me out here.

Reply to
bull.angry

bbtaco

Well you could go buy an OBD2 tester and a service manual to diagnose the problem. Or you could just start throwing parts at it as recommended by everyone here. Or probably for less money you could take it to your dealer or a qualified service rep and have it done correctly. Today's cars aren't easy to fix by guesswork as older cars were. If you don't have the technical ability or the desire to learn and study them take it to someone and have it done right. You will be money ahead in the long run...

Reply to
Woody

I am not an auto mechanic, but I have a strong desire to learn, I look at this problem as a weekend project (maybe a couple of weekends). Getting the tools is not a problem. i can always get em from autozone just the way i loaned the OBD2 reader to get the error code. The only issue is the know how.... i want to learn about cars and avoid getting ripped off... more importantly i want to learn something new and cars is something that i would love to learn. Money out here is not an issue, i can easily go down to the dealer and fork out a few hundred dollars and that still wont cause a dent in my savings. However, it will definitely cause a dent in my determination and moral, something that is more valuable to me than money. Money can be earned over time... but running away from failure the first time will cause me to run away forever especially knowing that i failed without giving it a try first. :-) Btw, So far i have figured this out to be a problem with the O2 sensor... there are two O2 sensors in the car, one before and one after the catalytic converter, Now i totally understand that i may be that the O2 sensor problem may have been caused by something else...therefore:

1) I am going to reset the computer and erase the code from it to see if it appears again.(Several month ago the computer had glitched due to jump starting my car, it may be that something similar has happened this time).

2) Locate the sensors,( I have already found where they are located under the hood).

3) "Learn" how to determine if the sensor has gone bad.

4) Learn to remove the sensor and test it.

5) If it is bad replace it and check again.

6) If it good , do the same set of steps for the other sensor.

7) If the second sensor is good too....take it to a auto mechanic :-)
Reply to
bull.angry

it's an air fuel ratio error. will need a new primary o2 sensor and possibly a new ECU. there is a service bulletin on this. DOES NOT mean it's under warranty. Chip

Reply to
chip

Check out

Mike