AC Condenser replacement

Hi:

Thanks in advance for any input on the following. I'm wondering if anyone here has ever changed the AC condenser/drier/etc on a late 90's Civic, Accord, or other comparable vehicle.

The AC condenser clutch on my '97 Civic gave out about a year ago. I'm not terrible with mechanical stuff, and I've done a fair amount of work on the car myself before. I especially don't mind giving it a go on a non-essential such as AC. So... I've toyed with the idea of replacing the condenser and drier myself.

There is not any significant pressure left in the system, but I'd expect whatever residual product of the R-134a to be left that one might expect. My question is specifically in this issue: What environmental/biological dangers would I stand to encounter if I tried to perform this work myself? I understand 134a to be a fairly unfriendly substance and I'm not interested in growing a third arm or putting myself at additional risk of cancer over a few hundred dollars.

I understand that I'd still have to have a shop evacuate and refill the 134a if I perform this work.

Thanks again in advance for any advice!

Reply to
bk

challenge (they pertain to the Gen II CR-V):

Reply to
motsco_