Accord hybrid - kiss it goodbye

San Jose Mercury News

On Tuesday, Honda said it would drop the Accord hybrid

from its lineup after the 2007 model year.

The decision wasn't a surprise, as sales of the Accord hybrid have been tepid since it arrived in 2004. Most analysts blame the model's failure on Honda's decision to pair electric components with a V-6 engine instead of with a higher-mileage four-cylinder gasoline motor.

In the United States, Honda dealers sold just 5,598 Accord hybrids last year, and just 439 last month. Rival Toyota sold 24,009 Prius hybrids in May, the car's best sales month in history, and 106,971 in 2006...

Not only did the Accord not get the fuel economy of the Prius, it was more expensive, too...

Honda dropped another hybrid, the two-seat Insight, in 2006.

That leaves it with just one hybrid, the Civic,

hybrid at a time when that market segment continues to bloom...

Reply to
H.Daccor

That's probably true.I think Honda was going for a performance hybrid, which does make sense. But hybrid buyers just want mpg.

Reply to
Bucky

I think the MR-2 Hybrid will sell well, if it comes out. What hybrid buyers *don't* look for is powerful, large-ish sedans that get only decent MPG, at a premium price.

Reply to
mjc1

"mjc13 @verizon.net>"

Reply to
Art

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

Gordon McGrew wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

there's hardly any room under the hood for the current GSR motor,where are they going to put the electric motor/generator? (and how would you work on it?)

I -do- wish Honda would bring back the Integra and Prelude,don't really care about a hybrid electric. Honda/Acura doesn't currently make any autos I would be interested in.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Performance buyers want PERFORMANCE, not just a half-second off the standard model's quarter mile time.

As done it was an interesting play by Honda, but it never made a lot of sense or had much odds of success. I salute the effort, sort of. Probably would sell more on the Accord 4, but better yet to keep it on the Civic, and maybe move it up to the Acuras for laffs.

J.

Reply to
JXStern

Well, the GS-R has been out of production for about seven years so obviously I am talking about a new car. I haven't checked under the hood of the current Civic Si, but I am sure it is tight. Still, that is the beauty of the Honda IMA, it is very compact adding only about 3 or 4 inches of width to the drive train. Seems like it would be possible for the Honda team, especially if the next generation Civic was designed with this in mind.

In this category, only the Civic Si is a contender. Not bad, but not attractive enough to get me out of my '94 GS-R.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

JXStern wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

there's no reason why there can't be switchable modes;economy and performance.With an indicator light on the dash,preferably color-coded.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

With hybridization, the two come together. The essence of hybridization is to separate engine power from acceleration performance; in a serial hybrid (none in production today) fuel economy and engine power have nothing at all to do with performance. If the engine is ripped out of the car the performance improves because of the reduced weight, but the range suffers badly.

Honda's IMA is a parallel system but the principle applies. That they can make a car with spectacular performance and impressive economy is old news - six years old in fact:

. The Accord had just too little in the way of electric power to make a difference in either economy or performance. Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I thought it was a dumb idea from day 1 and I said so. Time has proved me right.

Reply to
John Horner

I don't know about the concept, but the implementation failed. The cost/benefit just wasn't there.

Reply to
Michael Pardee