Changing Automatic to Standard in Honda Accord

I have HOnda accord EXR w/ automatic

I am looking at swapping it out for a standard gearbox and clutch. However, it is from a LX model.

Both are 1994. Will the swap fit? What is involved? Do I need extra boths not on the scrapped vehicle? Rough time involved?

thanks

Reply to
Devils Advocate

You need to buy another Honda Accord (parts car)standard shift in order to have enought parts. Not worth the time or trouble!

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

that is exactly what I have

Reply to
Devils Advocate

That depends on you, do you have tools? Are you mechanically inclined, I would say it on a scale of 1-10 as one being the easiest its a 9 or 10 job, even if you have the tools, It may involve removing the engine and automatic trans as a unit to do the swap. now to answer your question if you have the tools and basic knowledge I would say its a good 2 day if not longer.

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

Don't forget the electronics and the clutch hydraulics / pedal. This was recently discussed and the project has a whole bunch of by-the-ways... I doubt we even identified them all because the OP decided against it. Possible to do, but I'd just sell the auto and buy the stick. Much easier, probably cheaper, and you won't have a bastardized car. I know I'd never touch a vehicle that had undergone such a Frankenstein operation.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

It is going to be done, that is not an option. I will be having a certified mechanic to perform this job. I have a Honda Accord exr Vtec......mint, loaded and not a easy find w/ low k's. I have the same car in LX 5 sp standard. My automatic is not performing properly, so I'm doing the switch.

I wanted an idea on 1)lenth of time so I don't get ripped of by mechanic 2) will I need any extra parts even having a whole cars for parts 3) will the swap go well if the mechanic knows his stuff?

thanks

Reply to
Devils Advocate

Actually, I think you're pretty much the guinea pig on this. Please keep us up to date as it goes along, because after it's done it is hard to remember what went well, what didn't, and the important lessons learned along the way.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I think you have alot to learn when it comes to swaps. I've did it previously, just not w/ an accord.

When it's done, I perhaps you may learn something.

Reply to
Devils Advocate

I hope it goes as smoothly as you foresee. I know I've had at least one car (a '84 Nissan 300ZX) that would have required a different ECU and a pair of different security modules just to start the engine if the tranny were changed. The connectors on the security modules weren't even the same. Maybe the Honda isn't as intensive.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I forgot about the computer thats another problem.

Tom

Reply to
twfsa