Coasting in Neutral???

jim beam wrote in news:BqWdnXRJg9RYU_HVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

There was no unusual wear to any part of my clutch assembly. The pressure plate was replaced on principle because it was 255,000 miles old, not because anything was specifically wrong with it.

Riding the clutch - or neglected adjustment - will cause far quicker and more severe wear than double-clutching.

Reply to
Tegger

jim beam wrote in news:lZKdnSYH0bWJp_HVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

They've really screwed down the fuel-cutoff since 1995. All Honda engines now shut off the injectors on decel at or below 1,000 rpm. There's one Civic engine where they shut off on decel above 850rpm. Can't remember which one just now, though...

In 1991 it was 1,500 rpm.

Reply to
Tegger

i didn't say there was, but by definition, the more times you operate it, the closer it gets to its limit. you're operating it twice as many times as other people, that's all.

quicker wear of the friction plate and thrust bearing, yes indeed.

Reply to
jim beam

not true - and we've had this conversation before. the porsche type synchro is a large annular ring with a couple of springs inside. it has steel-to-steel contact, unlike the bronze cones of the more traditional type.

not so. the porsche type is simply a friction fit. if you want to race it and over-ride the blocking action, you can.

while they spin, they're hydrodynamically separated by oil.

actually, all it means is that the two are in sync. nothing else. it won't drop in [under normal usage] unless they are. if it takes time to sync, it doesn't matter because the real syncing comes from rev matching if relatively low mass components - two cogs, two shafts and a clutch friction plate.

not so you'd notice. really, the blocker mechanism is excellent and lasts as long as the rest of the transmission unless forced. and that includes defective clutch and/or over-zealous shifting. my crx had 306k miles on it and the synchros were perfect - no crunchiness at any speed, in any gear.

Reply to
jim beam

sure. absolutely no point injecting if the momentum of the car is still turning the motor.

Reply to
jim beam

jim beam wrote in news:oLydnSDANuaz4_DVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

Then Honda synchros are cones. We're talking Hondas here, not Porsches.

Reply to
Tegger

Interesting. One change I noticed in my 2007 Accord 4 auto over the

2004 is that with foot off gas it almost seems to decelerate like an old-style drive-by-linkage manual!

On the other side, I notice GM is advertising a car that (apparently) shifts to neutral while waiting at a light. Oh, technology! I often do that myself when I catch a long cycle, can be two minutes at some major intersections. I just get tired of standing on the brake that long, besides saving a few drops of gas.

J.

Reply to
JXStern