Console fried on 2004 Accord

Friend bought an Accord Ex 2004 when it was a year old, and last week, just when it turned 36k, the console goes out, est. replacement cost $1,000. What are the odds of that?

Actually, Honda is fixing it under warranty as a courtesy, I have heard of similar Honda flexibility before (and it's another reason to buy Honda!).

Just wondering, why would a console go out anyway, and how often does that happen?

Thx

J.

Reply to
JXStern

Honda is very, very good about that. It helps to have a good relationship with the dealer, or at least an appreciative attitude. Frankly, the first line of defense is the dealer service manager; if he likes you, he can choose to use his goodwill money on you. He can also choose not to.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

A few people in these Honda newsgroups have had their units replaced for free or for only the cost of labour. The problem is not rare.

I don't know why they are failing, but my first guess is faulty electronics.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

Makes me grateful that my 01 Prelude is old tech. Even has the old push-in maintenance reset by the speedometer.

Reply to
TWW