Honda Loyalty Plan

I recently traded my 01 Prelude off on a new Accord EX Coupe I4. While I got a decent trade on the 'lude and price on the Accord, I was surprised by an offer I could easily refuse. During the process, my salesman (who I have dealt with before) told me that I would be told that I "qualified" for the Honda Loyalty Plan during the finalization of the deal -- where you write the check. He (in so many words) told me I should just listen to the Finance person's pitch -- and that I was sufficiently wise to make the right decision.

Well, the pitch was for a glorified maintenance discount for 5 years along with road service and loaner car with options that were presented in "easy to pay" installments running from "a mere $40 - 60 per month" depending on the option selected. Did not take any real intelligence to figure out that this was a lot of nothing for around $3,000 and not even an extended warranty --- although that would not be much of a warranty since the Honda powertrain warranty now runs through 60k.

The Finance guy seemed convinced I would bite and was seemingly "stunned" when I turned him down, wrote my check, said thanks and left.

Guess I never heard this one before. Have to love the name, though.

Reply to
tww

"tww" wrote

What's interesting to me is that the salesman kind of warned you about this in advance. ISTM car salesman and the dealer's in-house shark... oops, I mean finance people... tend to be in cahoots, with a mutual goal: Ream the buyer for as much moolah as possible.

Sounds like your sales guy is a keeper.

Reply to
Elle

Yeah! I have been dealing with him for around 10 years; he's decent and honest.

Reply to
tww

LOL, I think that more profit is made at the "finance person" step of the car sales process than is made in the actual sale. Extended warranties, BS "protection packages", maintenance plans and the rest are all sold to people when they think the selling part is over.

You did good!

John

Reply to
John Horner

I purchased multiple Toyotas through the same sales person, I really liked him. I told him what I want, he helped me get it, he told me a price, I say "not so" he says "how so" I say "so so" and we agree on a price without back-and-forthing a closing manager and then bing... done.

One day I was there scoping out a new 2006 Tacoma PreRunner 4-door that I want and an old lady approached and she said "do you remember me" to the sales person and he said of course, I sold you that blue celica 20 years ago and she said good memory (there was a bit more conversation involved). Anyway, he introduced me to her (as a courtesy) and stated that the blue Celica was the first car he ever sold and here she is "turning it in" for a new Camry.

He's a keeper. It is unfortunate that my gas is currently $350 /mo. for my Tacoma and the new Tacoma would be $483 and as such, I'm getting a Civic Hybrid instead. There is saving grace for me, when my wife's Acura needs replacing next year (her 10 year mark) then she'll let me get the truck (but she'll have to drive it because she has a 5 mile commute and I have a 56 mile commute).

Thanks, Shawn

Reply to
Shawn B.