CR-V - negatives?

SO considering a CR-V. Anything 'wrong' with them?

Reply to
Alan Browne

Yeah they cost alot of $$$$$$$$$$. Just bought a 06 LX automatic love the car, big difference from my 01 CR-V.

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

I found it to be quite uncomfortable to drive. Felt like I was jammed into the steering wheel. I'm not particularly big (6'1", 220 lbs.), but thought it had very little leg room. I didn't even leave the dealer parking lot with it. We got in, I tried to adjust the seat to something comfortable, couldn't, so we drove it around back and parked it. My sister has the 2001 model, which I think looks much nicer than the new body style, but it's engine is pretty weak. I'd like to see the old body style with the new engine.

As far as the vehicle itself, it's very highly rated, with excellent reliability, and decent resale value. The RAV4 is generally considered to have better handling, but overall the CR-V rates higher. The RAV4 is it's only real direct competitor (that, and the Honda Element). Suzuki (Grand Vitara pre-'06), Kia (Sportage), and Hyundai (Tucson) are all a step below, and the Jeep Liberty is a totally different creature (great off-road, somewhat rough on-road). The Ford Trio (Escape, Merc Mariner, Mazda Tribute) aren't bad, but reliability isn't their strong suit, and I wouldn't trust them to last as long as the CR-V. The BMW X3 is too expensive, and just wasn't all that impressive.

The new '06 Suzuki Grand Vitara is a MUCH better vehicle than the '05 and older version. Also, make sure you drive a Subaru Forester. These are the two I'm considering if I go the SUV route (I may just get a FWD car and good snow tires, although the 12+ inches of snow I got last Wednesday night has me thinking again).

If you can wait, the CR-V is being redesigned for 2007. I've read it will be getting the Civic Si engine (197 hp)

Reply to
Bill G

iVtec / Vtec / not ? Honda intake manifolds' throttle body retail @ > US$350 !

this is a rip-off

Reply to
TE Cheah

The 4 wheel drive system has a significant delay in sending power to the rear wheels when the fronts loose traction (normally only the fronts drive). However they changed the design of this system for 2006 and I don't know if its improved or not. I'm waiting to see the new RAV-4 before making a decision. Right now I'm leaning toward the Subaru.

Reply to
Ron Jones

----------------------------

I've driven generation 1's for the last few winters, and the AWD cuts in before you even think of it, maybe a full spin of the front wheels . . . but it is a 'transparent' system. You don't hear it, there's no visual indicator, and you can't disable it. It just works. It is a bit high-maintenance, needing a fluid change every 30,000 miles, but it works like a dandy in deep snow or at icy intersections.

Resale value is phenomenal.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

That's good to hear. Do you have any experience in gravel? That's where I heard there were most of the problems.

RJ

Reply to
Ron Jones

I own one CRV, and tried that in gravel in Malaysia hills and jungles. No complaint. Slip, pick and go. Of course, since we do not have snow in this part of the world, I cannot tell you if the response is similar.

Thanks.

Reply to
NewYapAhLoy

Thank you all for your replies.