test drive Accord 2013 EX-L

Took a short look and test drive at the Accord 2013 today, a white EX-L sedan, CVT, no nav.

Dashboard is updated to a zippier style, and all models now have larger screen supporting more functions.

Some reviews say visibility is increased - at worst it is not decreased, pretty much the same, I think.

Steering is MUCH lighter. Some review say it sucks particularly at highway speeds, I may have to go back and test that out. The CVT is MUCH more responsive to pedal input. All the reviews I've seen say Honda has done the best job yet making the CVT driveable - even if that does include having it pretend to pause at what would be gear shift points. The salesman mumbled something about how the CVT is meant to be more responsive, apparently it's a least a minor sales point.

Only the sport model has paddle shifters, salesmen did not think they could be added to the EX-L. There was no way to "instruct" the tranny using the stick, which is still built as heavily as if it were connected to something and wasn't just a fly-by-wire transducer. I much prefer the new BMW stick, that feels more like the game controller that it sort of is.

The new strut front suspension? Well, I didn't toss it around much on a quick one-mile drive, and that numb steering doesn't really encourage it. One review notes that even BMW M3 and Porsche have gone to this, and it's supposed to help reduce noise, and the skidpad numbers are actually improved. Well.

EX-L now has turn signal lights on the mirrors - a geegaw I've wanted to have!

The lane change warning consists of the camera in the right mirror suddenly appearing on your screen. What is warned is that you are turning the wheel to the right - not that there is anything there! WTF?

The Accord uses the stereo to produce noise-cancelling signals.

The car does ride more quietly. Apparently, all the reviews were ragging on Honda for being "noisy", when it was really only following its own 30+ year tradition of letting through a little more road noise to be sportier, provide more feedback. Well, perhaps we've all outgrown that now. I'm curious about wind noise, which has been a tad higher in recent models than I'd liked - if that isn't just because everything else has already been quieter, whatever the mags say. Similarly I'm not in love with the zippier dash, I'd be OK with the 50 year old style of analog speedo and tach that my 2010 still has, but I guess that's life in the 21st century. The heater and radio buttons on the center dash are slightly better than last model, but still busy and generic ... but then ergonomics for controls is just a totally lost art these days everywhere you go.

The standard painted alloy wheels are ugly and cheap - though the previous models' polished alloys weren't very nice, either. I might inquire about options there, I dunno, though a nice set of wheels can get costly.

Wheelbase is reduced an inch, overall length about three inches, interior space is either slightly increased - or decreased, one review said. Back seat legroom is supposed to be improved.

Overall, it's a few minor improvements over the previous. The big question for me is the CVT. May just have to buy one and drive it for three years to find out.

The car seems OK, but I have to say, that old Honda spirit is not in evidence, but then it hasn't been for quite a while.

J.

Reply to
JRStern

The big question for ALL Hondas is the transmission.

And Honda has a new one? Yeah, can't wait for THAT to settle itself out.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

The big question for ALL Hondas is the transmission.

And Honda has a new one? Yeah, can't wait for THAT to settle itself out. The 6 speed manual is an alternative.

Reply to
tww1491

Not on EX-L or above.

And I notice that the V6 models have geared trannies. YAY! says Honda. We can continue to screw people over the old fashioned way!

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty