Help! Oil Drain Bolt Stuck on '92 Accord

AAAARGH! I was getting a friend's 66 Chrysler 'Special' (It was an Unmarked Luxo-barge for Government use) ready for the summer and couldn't get the lug nuts off. He called and asked how it was going. Fine, except...

Guess you don't know the lug nuts on that side are LHT, do you?

Reply to
Hachiroku

But it sure builds up manly muscles trying to get them loose. At least it feels that way.

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Reply to
Paul S

I'd be eyeing the air gun at this point, too. I fear the threads in the pan are already in bad shape, and that the plug has been fastened in. I hope it isn't epoxy!

The advantage of the air gun is that you are delivering straight torque rather than levering it. Even sockets want to lift unless you can apply the same amount of support as you are applying torque. As long as the impact socket is a nice fit and it can be set on straight rather than a bit cocked I'd go that way. The torque is nowhere near linear with air pressure; 40 PSI is probably a good starting point. I doubt you would even get impact action at that pressure, but you can always go up :-)

If the plug is fastened in or badly cross-threaded or both, all is not lost. NAPA carries drain plugs for Hondas in single and double oversize. There are complications, but let's hope for the best.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Reply to
Paul S

In aircraft manufacturing, a simple device is used that fits on air tools between the tool and the incoming air line. It is a simple "volume" control that is adjustable from full on to full off by a series of click stops. Sure wish such was readily available on the "civilian" market...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Actually my air gun has an adjustment like that on it.

G-Man

Reply to
G-Man

Wow...that sounds pretty neat. I wish one were available too. - Paul

Reply to
Paul S

Hi To G-Man and Everyone Else Who Was Nice Enough to Respond About My Stuck Oil Drain Bolt Issue:

I finally got the bolt off today!! Hurray!! It's the simple things in life..... No, actually it was the air gun, which worked like magic at

75 psi. It's a great tool, as long as you use it to take the bolt off but not to put it on. No sign of any leaks yet with the new oil, but I'll keep watching just in case. Looks like I may have dodged a bullet. Replaced the washer, painted some anti-seize compound on the threads of the new bolt, and hand torqued it to 33 foot pounds,

Thanks again! - Paul.

Reply to
Paul S

"Paul S" wrote

Let the fun begin.

;-)

Reply to
Elle

This may be a similar regulator that I am familiar with.

JT

Paul S wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Reply to
Paul S

I wouldn't have guessed you'd get off that lightly, but let's celebrate victories when the fates allow!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Reply to
Paul S

LOL! I knew I wasn't THAT much of a wimp!

Reply to
Hachiroku

They are, you have to look. And they aren't cheap!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Great. Glad to hear you didn't have to shell for a new Oil Pan. What a PITA!

Congrats! (A job well done feels good, doesn't it? No matter how much huffing and puffing and cursing it took along the way! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

How did the paint come out, and what kind of gun do you have? I bought a fairly expensive Craftsman compressor (150 PSI/ 45/90CFM) for two reasons: DA sander and spray gun. The DA definitely needs it, and the best gun I can find is about 40 CFM @ 45 PSI!

Reply to
Hachiroku

But they are... Under $7 for consumer version and about $12 for the professional version.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I just bought my first compressor. The last place I used one of those setups was...at an Aircraft Accessories MFG, using shop air to test things like starter solenoids, etc...

Reply to
Hachiroku