Oil Pan Drain Plug on Mitsubishi Montero Sport

Pneumatic tools were apparently used to put the drain plug bolt back in the oil pan in my Montero Sport. I spent the last two hours trying to budge the bolt to change my oil, and never got it to move, but did manage to thoroughly strip the head. Any ideas on how to get it loose at this point? Short of spot welding a wrench to the bolt, I mean....Thanks!

I'm done trying to think of reasons why the drain bolt in an oil pan would ever need to be that tight....:-(

Reply to
sdogg7

That's why you should put a new crush washer on every other oil change and not use a quick lube place. Most off them have been sued for that reason. However, the damage has been done. If vice grips didn't work, you may want to hammer a disposable socket on it and use a breaker bar (one size smaller socket). You will need to get another bolt to replace it (Ace carries that size-take the bolt with you). If that isn't working, the next step is to weld a nut on the thing and get it off.

I still find it amazing that a bolt in the oil pan can be put on that tight. It should be a 17MM bolt head (12 or 14mm thread size X 1.25 pitch). Are you sure you are using the right size? If you've ever seen an oil pan off the car, you would know what I mean. You only have 3 or 4 threads to hold it. It shouldn't be that hard to get off. Even a head bolt can be done with hand tools.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

Try these type of vise grips

They are designed to grip the nut with out screwing it up.

I'd lock them down and whack the end with a hammer to break the bolt free.

I bought mine from Wal-Mart, but I've seen them elsewhere.

They even work on somewhat stripped nuts and bolts.

Rich

Reply to
Richie Rich

Reply to
simpleton

Just a guess but sounds like a possible cross thread situation.I certainly hope not. That said I used to have an old Bronco that would seize the oil pan plug at the slightest provocation. Solution? Big pipe wrench and a new plug!

Reply to
Outlander