Honda Accord Service Puzzle

I had my 2006 Accord I4 in for and A1 service at 96k miles and was hit with several unpleasant surprises. And this is after a 90k mile $360 service where supposedly the transmission fluid was changed. The claim was that the car needed a complete tune-up with new plugs, fuel induction service, PCV valve, transmission fluid drain, power steering and brake fluid exchange. Total cost $645.00. The car runs fine and is mostly driven on I75. One cost -- power steering fluid for $130.00 -- seems high when one could removed the fluid with a turkey baster and replace -- and why the transmission which they claim was not done at 90k. I can go along with the brakes and perhaps the PCV valve (which I could replace myself) and certainly the tune-up is not necessary now. And, how would they figure all of this out in the less than one hour car was in for the A1 oil change and tire rotation.

Seems like my Honda dealer is getting greedy. Any opinion -- Tegger and Jim Beam would likely have a perspective.

Reply to
tww1491

we have a winner.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

"tww1491" wrote in news:cdkRr.7058$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe14.iad:

Check your Owner's Manual. What does it say for the A1 sevice?

Why did you authorize work that is not specified in the Owner's Manual for the A1 service?

If the car was in for the A1 service, you should not have allowed the dealer to do any more than the A1 service as outlined in the Owner's Manual.

Reply to
Tegger

And Elmo is on fire! ;-)

Reply to
cameo

"tww1491" wrote in news:cdkRr.7058$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe14.iad:

Check your Owner's Manual. What does it say for the A1 sevice?

Why did you authorize work that is not specified in the Owner's Manual for the A1 service?

If the car was in for the A1 service, you should not have allowed the dealer to do any more than the A1 service as outlined in the Owner's Manual.

Actually, I did not authorize anything but the oil change. Of course, they told me my car "failed". Sorry if I gave the idea I went for it.

Reply to
tww1491

we have a winner.

?? I only had the A1 service. Does that mean I won something. I have generally had reasonable service from these people -- looks like mgmt change. Thinkin

Reply to
tww1491

we have a winner.

?? I only had the A1 service. Does that mean I won something. I have generally had reasonable service from these people -- looks like mgmt change. Thinking I need to start doing some of service again myself as I did in days when I drove Corvettes.

Reply to
tww1491

I've been having a similar problem with my local Honda dealer. For years, their service operation was A+, very fair, and reasonably priced. I was quite very happy with them.

Now most every time I go in there the service weasel comes up to me in the waiting room with that body language and look on his face that resembles the doctor coming to tell you that the person you brought in for minor pinky surgery needs a heart transplant right now-- or else. They're looking to lighten my wallet considerably every visit.

Not fully sure what I'm going to do. Definitely go back to doing some of the basic maintenance myself, maybe look for another dealer as there are several in the city where I live, probably look for a good independent shop.

Reply to
Douglas C. Neidermeyer

I've been having a similar problem with my local Honda dealer. For years, their service operation was A+, very fair, and reasonably priced. I was quite very happy with them.

Now most every time I go in there the service weasel comes up to me in the waiting room with that body language and look on his face that resembles the doctor coming to tell you that the person you brought in for minor pinky surgery needs a heart transplant right now-- or else. They're looking to lighten my wallet considerably every visit.

Not fully sure what I'm going to do. Definitely go back to doing some of the basic maintenance myself, maybe look for another dealer as there are several in the city where I live, probably look for a good independent shop.

Things were simpler in 60s and 70s -- although I had to remove the right front wheel on the 71 454 Vette I had to change the front plug. Points and dwell were easy. And the old Quadrajet really never had a problem except with the float. Of course, with a Sunbeam Tiger you had to have a trained monkey to help since the engine was stuffed in so tight.

Reply to
tww1491

"tww1491" wrote in news:ieFRr.384$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe20.iad:

If this is so, then the dealer is on very thin ice, legally speaking.

You may want to discuss this with a paralegal.

Reply to
Tegger

"tww1491" wrote in news:ieFRr.384$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe20.iad:

If this is so, then the dealer is on very thin ice, legally speaking.

You may want to discuss this with a paralegal.

They did not do the work -- I would not let them. I was quite surprised by their approach and final claim my car failed their "inspection." I don't even see how they came to their conclusion in about 45 minutes from when they took the car back for the oil change and tire rotation. This has a been a straight up dealer up to now. I suspect slow sales have resulted in pressure to produce more in service.

Reply to
tww1491

"tww1491" wrote in news:ETNRr.67371$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe03.iad:

Oh, so they just advised you to get the work done, but you did not allow it. That's good!

The dealer is an independent company from Honda. They just have a franchise agreement with Honda to fly the Honda flag. The dealer can -- and does -- do very much his own thing when it comes to servicing, and what you experienced has 100% to do with boosting sales. A common trick is to offer "free inspections". Rare is the car that comes through one of those without needing anything at all.

Honda's only defense against dealer creativity is to publish their requirements and recommendations in the Owner's Manual that they put in the glove box of your car before they ship it.

Now you need to find a reputable other garage to do a /real/ inspection of your car.

Reply to
Tegger

of course. most dealers are owned by larger distributorships - there's very few single businesses any more. and large distributorships, which bought a lot of the former "family owned" dealers back in the days of the crazy cheap money wall st was printing, particularly if they own a number of the same franchises in the same area [which is common], know that your options are limited.

time to search for a reputable independent.

Reply to
jim beam

Back in my single days in the early 70's, I picked up a used Saab Sonnett-- a hot looking, low-slung, long-nosed, Fiberglas-bodied babe-magnet of a sports car.

The problem was its English Ford engine. It wasn't very reliable and needed a lot of repair-- but the car had no openable hood.

There was a two-foot square small access panel in the middle of what should have been the hood-- but to reach anything beyond plugs, distributor, or carburetor, you had to pull the whole front of the body off. Your average shade tree mechanic (me) couldn't really do that and repair shops charged several hundred dollars to. So before the mechanic could even start fixing what was broken, you were already in the hole for a big repair bill. After I paid that pull-charge for the third time, I sold the car!

Reply to
Douglas C. Neidermeyer

Sounds like the word came down from the top that the budget goals were not being met by the shop and they needed to increase billing by whatever means possible. This is then the typical tactic.

I also stopped servicing my car by the dealer when I noticed all the extras they wanted to do beyond what the Owner's Manual scheduled maintenance table called for. One of those extras was wheel alignment ("Oh, you must have bumped into something," etc.) After hearing it a few times, I wised up.

Reply to
cameo

Your dealer advised you that it was time for your hundred thousand mile tuneup, which is also cited as 105,000 to keep it an even multiple of the traditional (mile based) 7500 mile service interval. Keep in mind that spark plugs, wires, filters, pcv's, etc are not perfect up to

99,999 miles and then suddenly shot at 100,001. He gave you the price he would charge to perform those services, take it or leave it. It seems you would have preferred he just kept quiet and let you figure it out for yourself, or breakdown on the road and get your advice from the kid driving the AAA truck. Also you question why he listed things you could do yourself. What would you think of him if he performed work on someones car then advised them to go home and change a few of the easy parts themselves. Hey Mrs Murphy, I know you are 78 years old but we did everything except the fuel filter because you can do that yourself and save 20 bucks, just make sure you put out the cigarette first.

Your reaction could have been "thanks for the information and free quote", but instead you (and it seems others who have posted) have decided he is untrustworthy and dishonest. It's particularly odd because most in this group are in favor of doing proper maintenance and generally following the recommended schedules. I don't get it.

Reply to
Al

of course. most dealers are owned by larger distributorships - there's very few single businesses any more. and large distributorships, which bought a lot of the former "family owned" dealers back in the days of the crazy cheap money wall st was printing, particularly if they own a number of the same franchises in the same area [which is common], know that your options are limited.

time to search for a reputable independent.

Absolutely! But, most people will just take and pay the freight.

Reply to
tww1491

[...]

I think I have the judgement to decide when mandatory services are required based on my type driving (mostly highway) and my experience with a wide variety of cars since the mid 50s. I recognize the need to change brake fluid for example and told them to do it at the $370 90k mile service which they said was not needed. The 90k service includes a change of transmission fluid which they apparently did not do -- or so they say. I did thank them for the information.

Reply to
tww1491

"tww1491" wrote in news:ETNRr.67371$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe03.iad:

May I ask a favor of you?

Reply to
Tegger

well of course - they get the frighteners put on them about invalidating the warranty. i was talking to a neighbor about this when i learned she was being dinged nearly $700 for her first 30k mile service on her honda fit. i suggested she take it to an independent and showed her the page in her owner manual about how independent service does not invalidate warranty. but she still wanted to take the car to the dealer and got dinged another $250 for what was basically just an oil change.

unnecessary maintenance is a cash cow if the vehicle owner doesn't know the facts and is easily intimidated. especially if a dealer is using after-market parts and charging oem prices as i've seen happen.

Reply to
jim beam