Honest question: why should I get overpriced Honda (and Toyota?)

I'm car shopping and I'm comparing the Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, and Hyundai Elantra. I have to say Corolla sucks and waste of money. It's between Civic and Elantra. However, for the same price I get so many more advanced features with Elantra (ABS, etc.) Why should I get a Honda Civic?

P.S. I'm a Honda lover and longtime Civic driver, but Elantra just has so many additional features for the best bang for the buck, why should I stick with Honda?

Reply to
Optimus Prime

Care to elaborate?

Care to elaborate on all of the "advanced features" on the Elantra as compared to what comes on the Civic? What models are we comparing?

Anyway, for one thing, awhile back Honda embarked on a program of "Safety for Everyone"--that is, they specifically marketed that they were NOT going to save the advanced safety features for the expensive cars, that ALL their cars--base Civic (or Fit) on up were going to get all of their advanced safety features.

Is that still the case? How does the Civic rate against the Elantra in that category?

I mean, bells and whistles are nice, but you have to have the core functionality and engineering first.

Aye, there's the rub. Is it in fact the "best bang for the buck," or are you just being seduced by the bells and whistles?

Years ago we bought a treadmill. It was your standard thing that most people think of--not very expensive, but with lots of programs and buttons and lights. Three years later, it broke and we wanted to replace it.

We realized that we really didn't use any of the bells and whistles at all. So I went back to the sporting goods store and asked the guy, do you have one without all the crap? He took me right to one that filled the bill for that. Dirt simple. Beautiful.

And you know what? It was $2100 (this was ten years ago at this point). Incline and speed adjustments only, just like I wanted. OK...so why the F*CK is this $2100? By the time he was finished and after I did some research, I discovered why--because it was from a company that built nothing but treadmills, and their stuff is designed to last. It's all about the frame and the motors and the tread deck and tread belt. Without that, you get junk. Pretty blinking lights and computer chips are cheap, but those motors? The INCLINE motor on this one was twice as heavy and powerful as the TREAD motor on the one that broke. That's just one example of the core functionality and engineering that made the difference.

Yeah, I bought it. Smart move, as it turned out.

Over the years, I had a few opportunities to call the manufacturer regarding some little things--a couple rear feet that kept cracking (and which they kept replacing until they got it right), and one time it wouldn't turn on at all--and over the phone in about three minutes one of their tech guys helped me find the broken wire, broken thanks to my kids bouncing on the hood over the motors and control units.

And when the incline adjustment rocker switch got gummed up and quit working, it was a cheap part that was easy for me to replace--because the design of this unit was well thought out, simple, and designed for REPAIR. This is not a disposable unit like the cheap things on the market.

Core engineering. It has to be good or you're throwing money away.

The moral to my story is this: bells and whistles are a cheap and easy way to attract your eye, like the lights and sounds in Las Vegas. But they don't mean anything in and of themselves. Make sure you have core goodness underneath first.

That all being said, Honda is very scared of Hyundai. I believe they're justified in that. But keep in mind, every company's cheapest product is their cheapest product. My guess is that I'd take Honda's cheapest product over Hyundai's. When cheap happens, something's gotta give. Honda's been doing the Civic longer than Hyundai's been in the market overall. There's no room for mistakes on your cheapest product. Honda probably has those well ironed out.

Also consider your support infrastructure. You know Hondas very well from having owned them. I presume you also know where to take it for service, where to buy parts, what the accessories market is, etc. Are you happy with your support infrastructure? If so, that makes moving to a different brand harder. But if you hate whatever service is available for your Honda, it's not that much of a throw of the dice moving to Hyundai.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

[snipped out a whole bunch of really intelligent comments]

Outstanding comments, Elmo. Thoughts to consider and be guided by across the board of consumerism.

Reply to
Dddudley

According to Consumer Reports, the Civic's reliability record is superior; its side-crash test results are superior; and its fuel economy is superior; to those of the Elantra.

The Elantra is not a bad car. But the Civic still edges it out. (And my 2010 Civic, which I just bought, has ABS and air bags that seem to be just about all over the cabin.)

-- Steven L.

Reply to
Steven L.

Optimus Prime wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Hyundai/Kia has made enormous strides in surface-quality. Body-panel fit and alignment are superlative at any price. Ride and handling are much improved and fairly nice, for the price. Interiors are pretty good, for the price. But it doesn't go much deeper than that, yet.

Talk to the techs in the trade. Hyundai/Kia (like Suzuki) still has big problems with reliability of the electronics.

And since most of the car--from engine/emission controls to SRS to passenger-comfort--is electronically-controlled, electronic reliability is fairly important these days.

If you buy a Hyundai/Kia, don't count on much, past the warranty period.

Reply to
Tegger

I completely agree with this.

My parents are due to replace their 1994 Toyota Camry, and I have convinced them to stay with Toyota again, or to try the Honda Accord.

The Camry was originally chosen over the Accord because of ride comfort, mainly the seats, and interior noise levels. This shows the priorities of the buyers. This was in 1995, and I have a 1995 Accord to compare the car to, though the Camry has more than twice as many miles, it was not maintained that well, and it started life as a rental fleet vehicle.

Despite this, the Camry has done great for the past 16+ years. It receives harsh treatment on the weekends, and probably has as many starts as a car with twice as many miles (car has 174,000 miles now, and it usually gets started more times on Saturday than the total starts from Sunday through Friday).

Anyway, they are looking to get a 4 cylinder again. The car has to be a

4-door sedan with an automatic. If they pay a little "extra" for a Honda or a Toyota, that is fine, they get a lot of years out of a vehicle, and I am not ready to fully put my trust into Hyundai yet, at least not enough for years of payments.............
Reply to
pws

Thanks for all the comments, ok, I guess I'll stick with the Civics. I'm still driving my old Civics HX and I wish Honda didn't discontinued the HX brand. I'm getting 38 mpg without the Hybrid hype.

Ok, will try out the Civic Si or EX, thanks guys.

Reply to
Optimus Prime

I just bought a 2010 Civic EX coupe. I love it.

With my health problems, I needed a reliable car to transport me to the dialysis center 3x/week and to hospitals on occasion.

-- Steven L.

Reply to
Steven L.

Good grief, Elmo - after all that you didn't even tell us the brand name and model of the treadmill! I know, that wasn't the point of your post. I just happen to be in the market for one, and it's minefield out there. After some research, I have already figured that I'll have to pay at least $1500 to get anything that will last, but maybe I need to revise that up a bit. Any direction would be appreciated.

Bob

Reply to
rjdriver

hehehehe Sorry. Landice.

When it didn't turn on that one day, I just called them and ended up speaking with one of their technical people. He knew this model inside out, apparently; he started at the beginning and had me look at the wiring and connections, one at a time. Inside a minute, by step 4 or something, I came to a wire that had broken at the connector, due to abuse by my children bouncing on the plastic hood (I imagine; there's no other way this could have broken). Anyway, I was able to put a new connector onto the end and plug it in, and away I went.

If you're going to use it, then spend money on it. I like my Landice

8700 Sprint. I imagine other treadmill-only manufacturers probaby do it just as well. But it's a big stretch for most consumers to move up to that level, to spend enough money to buy a machine that works just as well in a club environment as it does at home with one or two people.
Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Thanks. I see what you mean. This is club quality stuff. Cheapest is $3000.00, but it appears to be built like a tank..

Bob

Reply to
rjdriver

Thus spake Optimus Prime :

Well, usually when somebody asks "why should I not" do this and they already have a list of reasons why they should, I change the subject. Unless your pluses are: the feeling of freedom, being at one with the air, feeling the thrill of being with the birds. Then I tell you that the sudden stop at the end might hurt a lot or you could be lucky and die instantly.

If you believe the Elantra is so superior, why are you asking?

Reply to
Dillon Pyron