How do you remove a "rice burner" exhaust system?

Hello. I just bought a 1996 Civic HX 2dr and the car came with a very loud exhaust aka "rice burner". Here is a pic for reference

Could someoneplease tell me how I can remove it? Can I remove just the tip or do Ihave to replace the entire exhaust system with an OEM? If I remove thetip do I have to install something else in its place? Thanks.

Reply to
DizzyCat5

You're going to have to replace that muffler. Looks like a Magnaflow. Changing the tip won't change anything.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

OK, thanks. Do you know how much it would cost me to have someone take the old one out and put in an OEM one, given that I provide it?

Reply to
DizzyCat5

How good are you with tools? Mufflers and exhaust systems are not very complicated, just awkward to work on. There are clamps and hangars to deal with, also bolts that have frozen with age. But there are tools and solvents that make the job fairly easy for a "shade tree mechanic."

I have no idea how much a shop would charge if you provide the hardware. Many do not like doing that sort of thing. Some don't mind. It is not just the muffler, there are other bits that will also need replacing. But the whole job should take well under an hour for a skilled mechanic.

Hope this helps. Elliot Richmond Itinerant astronomy teacher

Reply to
Elliot Richmond

I can't imagine that a stock Civic owner with visions of "The Fast and the Furious" would want to trade you their stocker even for your "upgraded" exhaust. You could share the labor or they might just do you a favor!

Reply to
Mark Beckett

Shouldn't take too much except for the rust I see in the picture may have frozen some of the bolts. You will need to replace the entire muffler and tip because it is a Magnaflow muffler. Check Craigslist or Ebay and you may find a used OEM one that a person has taken off of theirs relatively cheaper than what Honda would want.

Reply to
[ i v i ]

I'd be more concerned as to how this car was treated. My experience has been that when a fart-can is out back, the car had been beat on by a young driver who was attempting to gain some "street cred".

Reply to
Siskuwihane

Thank you all for your responses. I think I will replace the muffler myself. Now, should I replace it with a Honda OEM muffler or this Bosal one

do you guys think? Thanks.

Reply to
DizzyCat5

Thank you all for your responses. I think I will replace the muffler myself. Now, should I replace it with a Honda OEM muffler or this Bosal one

What do you guys think? Thanks.

Reply to
DizzyCat5

It depends on how long you plan to keep the car. The Honda muffler will probably last at least 10 years. The replacement muffler--who knows. But several years at least.

Unlike more critical parts, I can't see any compelling reason to spring for the Honda muffler.

Make sure to have plenty of penetrating oil on hand and allow time for the frozen bolts to soak. WD 40 is NOT penetrating oil. You need something like Liquid Wrench or Kroil. Liquid Wrench has been around a lot longer than you have and I know it works.