Is Honda switching to timing chains?

My bad! Sorry.

Reply to
Cameo

just did a water pump on a gf's civic. cheapo afermarket crap - the "bearing" had worn so badly, there was a full 1/8" side to side play on the thing.

bottom line - don't buy chinese vehicle components people! unless you don't mind replacing after only 30k miles that is.

Reply to
jim beam

Thus spake jim beam :

Are you suggesting that accountants trump engineers? WOW! I'd never have expected THAT!

(So those without a sarcasm or cynicism detector, that was both)

Reply to
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake jim beam :

"Pre-stretching" may have something to do with it, but I doubt it. Pre- stretching has been in use since at least the '60s, so even all the old- style chains were likely pre-stretched.

Inverted-tooth chain links simply have a lot more contact area with the pin than the old link-chains. In addition, inverted-tooth chains ride on completely different sorts of sprockets than the old chains did, meaning there's less stress on the links.

Reply to
Tegger

nope. 80's.

sprocket teeth are irrelevant in the wear equation:

  1. chain elongation [and thus valve timing drift] is caused by wear between the chain pins and the plates - tooth wear is insignificant.
  2. for rollerless chain, lubrication is more critical than roller chain.
Reply to
jim beam