Is my 2004 Civic's battery almost dead already?

My 2004 Civic started up fine in the bitter cold this morning, albeit with some expected slow cranking. I did a quick errand and returned home. 2 hours later, I get in the car to go out again... but now it won't start. It cranks but does not want to fire up. I even tried the procedure that involves holding the gas pedal down while cranking for 15 seconds, but nothing.

Based on what I have read here recently, I guess it's not unusual for a

4-year old car to have its original battery fail this soon. My '93 Accord's original battery lasted almost 8 years, but its first replacement (a Sears DieHard) lasted 4 years.

I have to admit that I use the remote keyless entry religiously, and a strange incident happened briefly the other day in the parking lot of a local shopping center. When I went to remotely unlock the car, it beeped as if I was pressing the lock button a second time. The issue went away when I got home and did not return.

So is it not unusual for a 4-year old original battery to fail, and could that unexpected unlocking beep have been a warning sign?

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

if it's cranking, it's not a battery problem. run injector cleaner through it and maybe get a new set of plugs. report back accordingly.

Reply to
jim beam

---------------------

Your location is the most important bit of info. If you're in TEXAS, your troubles may be normal (replace battery).

Did you notice if the immobilizer icon was flashing on the dash? there's a TSB that mentions batteries with one failing cell. The immobilizer stops working when voltage gets a bit low. Have the battery load-tested at a real battery shop.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

The first two batteries for my 1991 Civic each died at about four years. The car was driven almost exclusively in the northern U.S. for the whole time. I accidentally ran each of the first two batteries down to 'dead' a few times. This reduces battery life notably, from my reading.

But say, you're pretty experienced, right? Go get a multimeter and see what the battery voltage (car not running) is. Anything below say 12.3 volts, and I'd say you have confirmed it's time for a new battery.

"High Tech Misfit" wrote

Reply to
Elle

I'm in Canada (Ottawa to be exact) and it is very cold right now.

Well, I'm not as experienced as other DIY'ers on here; I'm not even a DIY'er myself. Most of my contributions to these NG's are based on past knowledge from reading them for years.

I just checked the indicator on the battery itself, and I could just barely see it lit green.

And Jim Beam, I put fuel injector cleaner in it a few weeks ago.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

It may be the battery-they can do strange things when they are going bad.

Before doing anything drastic, check for some simple causes such as loose and or corroded battery cables.

Based on what I have read here recently, I guess it's not unusual for a

4-year old car to have its original battery fail this soon. My '93 Accord's original battery lasted almost 8 years, but its first replacement (a Sears DieHard) lasted 4 years.

I have to admit that I use the remote keyless entry religiously, and a strange incident happened briefly the other day in the parking lot of a local shopping center. When I went to remotely unlock the car, it beeped as if I was pressing the lock button a second time. The issue went away when I got home and did not return.

So is it not unusual for a 4-year old original battery to fail, and could that unexpected unlocking beep have been a warning sign?

Reply to
newman

I just called Honda roadside assistance (part of my extended warranty), and even the rep said it's likely not the battery. It will be towed to the dealer in a bit. I'll report back with the verdict.

The car currently has 65,000km (about 40,000 miles) on it.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

High Tech Misfit wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hightech.misfit:

Those aren't much use.

In the BATTERY? ;-) no wonder it doesn't work....

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Well, it turned out to be a flooded engine. :-/ Dealer cleaned the spark plugs and changed the oil (it was due for an oil change anyway).

Thanks again for the responses.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

Oh gee.

I knew a few people who had a flooded engine after hurricane Bob years ago. They need more than spark plugs cleaned and new oil (I was smart enough to move my car inland away from the shore of the island I was on [Cape Cod]).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

change the plugs anyway. and run more injector cleaner through it.

Reply to
jim beam