Is my battery dead?

Bought a new, heavy duty battery earlier this year, but a combination of me not using the car much and a few stints in the garage means it's already gone flat 3 or 4 times.

It went flat again this week in a coupe of days (the alarm triggered the hazard lights and it just flashed itself to death) so I pulled the battery out of the car on Saturday evening and started charging it. Put it back and tried to start the car yesterday about 11 but it wouldn't even attempt to turn. Put the battery back on the charger.

Tried again this morning and I had enough juice to work the central locking, but again just clicking when I tried to start it. Checked the voltage and it was about 10.5V.

It's back on the charger again. The charger started at about 15A then went to 10A where it stayed throughout yesterday and today. The battery is warm but not hot to the touch, with an occasional bubble. No bulging. It's a no-maintenence battery.

I will be scrapping the car this month (anyone want an H-reg cav for the parts - got a good engine and new petrol tank?) but I have a couple of things i need it for first. I don't want to buy a new battery if I don't have to - does it sound like mine will charge or should I give up and head off to Halfords?

Thanks Liz

Reply to
lizbubb

Take the battery back where you got it, they should last longer than that...

Reply to
DanTXD

Yes it's buggered.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Only don't tell them that you allowed it to go completely flat several times. I don't think any car battery could be expected tosurvive that treatment. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Yeah, that's what I thought. Bit miffed with the garage cos the alarm problem that ran it down over 2 days started after they had it in and let it go flat the other week, but the chances of proving anything are not worth the hassle.

Cheers Liz

Reply to
lizbubb

You don't have to prove anything. The battery should be replaced if it's still under warranty. Just don't tell them it went flat several times.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Running a battery totally flat usually knackers them. But if it's less than a year old, surely it's still guaranteed?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If they don't know, they can't make an issue of it. :-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G